Penna. testing

Submitted by Rick on 8/1/06 at 8:05 AM. ( ) 141.151.115.83

Can anyone shed any light on what is going on in PA.? I was told the PA. Game Commision is no longer monitoring Taxidermists in the state. What's up with that and who now will administer the exams ?
Thanks.

Return to Current Events Category Menu

WHy don't you checkout..

This response submitted by LOU on 8/1/06 at 8:26 AM. ( ) 71.254.214.252

PATaxidermy.com or use the search function?

Canceled

This response submitted by Dan on 8/1/06 at 8:36 AM. ( ) 65.110.111.34

GAME COMMISSION CANCELS FALL TAXIDERMISTS EXAM

HARRISBURG -- Pennsylvania Game Commission Bureau of Wildlife Protection Acting Director Richard Palmer today announced that the agency would not be holding its annual fall taxidermy exam. Act 77, which was signed into law by Governor Edward G. Rendell on July 7, transfers oversight for taxidermists from the Game Commission to the state Department of Agriculture.

Act 77, formerly House Bill 1528, was sponsored by Rep. Rod Wilt (R-Mercer), and was approved by a vote of 192-2 in the House on Nov. 21. After being amended in the Senate Game and Fisheries Committee, the bill was unanimously approved by the Senate on June 29. The House voted 194-2 to concur in the Senate-amended version on June 30, and sent it to Governor Rendell's desk for action. The Governor signed the bill on July 7, and the new law takes effect in 90 days.

"As the Game Commission will no longer be responsible for overseeing the taxidermy industry, we deemed it unnecessary to hold an exam this fall," Palmer said.

Created in 1895 as an independent state agency, the Game Commission is responsible for conserving and managing all wild birds and mammals in the Commonwealth, establishing hunting seasons and bag limits, enforcing hunting and trapping laws, and managing habitat on the 1.4 million acres of State Game Lands it has purchased over the years with hunting and furtaking license dollars to safeguard wildlife habitat. The agency also conducts numerous wildlife conservation programs for schools, civic organizations and sportsmen's clubs.

The Game Commission does not receive any general state taxpayer dollars for its annual operating budget. The agency is funded by license sales revenues; the state's share of the federal Pittman-Robertson program, which is an excise tax collected through the sale of sporting arms and ammunition; and monies from the sale of oil, gas, coal, timber and minerals derived from State Game Lands.

We were thinking abourt starting a qualification

This response submitted by MN taxidermy on 8/1/06 at 5:11 PM. ( ) 70.56.163.105

We want to bring the quality of taxidermy up in MN. Some taxidermists in Mn were thinking about having taxidermists qualify to be taxidermists. This would eliminate the ones that seem to screw the customers and do poor quality work. The taxidermy field seems to gets a bad reputation for being crooked and screwing up trophys (Hacks) because of a few bad taxidermists. We need to police ourselves and have taxidermists qualify and be certified to be taxidermists. They could do so be competing at state competitions or higher. They would need to win a minumum of one or two third places for example or higher in theprofessional division. That would qualify themselves worthy of doing commercial work, and get certified in that catagory. It would bring the quality up and and also the prices charged would be more even across the board. It would help the MN taxidermy Guild and the guild would help them learn through seminars and the compititions to qualify and be better. They gain knowledge and become better taxidermists. The DNR is interested in working with us on this.The guild would work with the DNR on details. Any input good or bad would be appreciated.

Check the archives here...

This response submitted by Craig on 8/1/06 at 9:04 PM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

there is plenty on the subject. It's still a somewhat FREE COUNTRY...we should be doing everything in our power to keep it that way. That includes free enterprise and the freedom to choose a good or bad taxidermist. I don't think you will ever get rid of basement bandits, or hacksidermists, or bad businessmen. They do have a way of weeding themselves out by themselves, over a period of time. Not everyone wants to belong to their state, regional, or national orgs and to force(strong arm) someone kinda goes against some of these basic American principles.

Other businessses have to be qualified

This response submitted by MN taxidermy on 8/2/06 at 8:40 AM. ( ) 70.56.163.105

Any one that specializes in a field and provides a service like carpenter, electrition, plumber, mechanic,repair man, handy man,etc has to be licensed and approved by the state to show they are qualified to have the license to do the job. We have nothing. Any joe blow get a taxidermy license. It is easier than buying a fishing license. Example but true - There were two different guys in my area that took work in, took big deposits for two years then took off every thing.One was attemting to do taxidermy but the law suits he was getting on poor work and lose of trophies became to much. He bailed and moved elsewhere and for the third time. He will probably do it again under a differnt business name. Both guys have done this in the past and move and reopen again somewhere else. Third time for both. If they had to prove they were qualified to do taxidermy they wouldn't be licensed and wouldn't be screwing people. It wouldn't force anyone to join an organization even though it would be nice. The person would have to come to a state compitition and pull a minumum third place professional ribbon.(comercial work) get signed off in that category and the DNR would send him his license. There could even be a hands on seminar to see what they know and teach them to get better. The quality of taxidermy would go up. It would eliminate most hacks and it would eliminate some of the lowball prices some charge just to get work in and PRACTICE on some ones TROPHY animal. It can't be redone once it is screwed up.Free countries have rules and laws to follow to attempt to protect the innocent.

This is why your plan doesn't work

This response submitted by Pa. taxidermist on 8/2/06 at 3:32 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.13

I resently seen a deerhead mounted by a lic. Pa. taxidermist, that had the form plainly visiable in the back. This taxidermist is capable of doing good work, as I have seen some good mounts that he has done. How would you ever force a guy like this into not getting lazy, or for what ever reason he used a form that was to big, and took 4 inch stiches to sew it up.

It's a shame this customer had to find this out the hard way, but the taxidermist passed the Pa. test, his showroom work looked good.
What more could you do, inspect ever piece going out to every customer.

Who says...

This response submitted by Craig on 8/2/06 at 8:16 PM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

someone couldn't simply have someone else mount a specimen or even purchase one so they could enter a competition and pass the screening? Where there is a law there are a hundred ways around it. As for the guys that keep opening up these businesses and failing...I think they will get theirs in the end.

Most plumbers and electricians need a business license but certification of the license is for safety issues that surround the occupation and the services performed. Houses have been known to burn down because of electrical fires and if certain codes aren't followed people could get killed by electricution. Same goes for plumbers that can't solder a pipe properly. Lots of damage can result from shoddy workmanship and the crap has to flow downhill or there are problems. What does a taxidermist do that threatens someone's health or welfare where this licensing or certification is needed?

Work in progress

This response submitted by MN taxidermy on 8/2/06 at 8:34 PM. ( ) 70.56.163.105

This is why I'm asking. To work out the kinks. It will take time. I have contacted people from the Pa. Taxidermy Assoc. in the past for their input to see how theirs is run but never heard back. Requiring someone to be certified would be better than we have now. Customers I talked to last fall were shocked to find out that nothing was required to get a taxidermy license. It would make taxidermy look better in the public eye. It wouldn't eliminate all the problems. There are crooked people in all businesses trying to take the easy way out or trying to scam someone. A few of the lazy crooked ones may get buy. But at least the initial attempt would be made to screen out most of the true hacks and UNSKILLED ones. If they show proof of their ability and just get lazy then the clients and courts settle it. Like is said above it is better than we have now. I feel we at least have to try. Some of the work I see should be criminal. The new scam is, a few hacks out there that do very poor work and weren't getting much business try teaching. They decide to follow a trend up here by putting taxidermy classes. Most taxidermists I know teaching classes do good work, but these hacks found another way to scam people for money. Take the money and run. Any Pa taxidermists or other states requiring testing please help out.

MN Taxidermy

This response submitted by Pa. taxidermist on 8/2/06 at 9:19 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.138

Type in HB1528 search button: all your anwsers are in there, to why the Pa. test doesn't work. We all feel the same way as you, But forcing regulations will not help at all.

Thanks

This response submitted by MN taxidermy on 8/2/06 at 9:26 PM. ( ) 70.56.163.105

I'll check it out. What can be done then?

Let the public decide for themselves

This response submitted by Pa. on 8/2/06 at 10:31 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.138

Puting a label on taxidermist (certified), (lic.) whatever only gives the public a false sense of security. Like craig said there are ways around any test. And who's to say you won't produce shoddy work after you are tested. I have seen this first hand, a taxidermist near me that has passed the Pa. test. His work is almost laughable or cryable if you would be a customer of his.

Return to Current Events Category Menu