DEER HEAD ANTLERS STOLEN REWARD IF FOUND

Submitted by R.L. DILWORTH on 8/1/06 at 11:07 PM. ( ROGERCHRISANN@BELLSOUTH.NET ) 67.35.23.14

$5000.00 TO ANYONE WHO HAS INFORMATION THAT WILL LEAD TO THE ARREST OF PERSON OR PERSONS RESPONSABLE FOR THIS ACT.

The deer was killed in VA on Nov. 20th, 2004. I carried it to the
taxidermist (Larry Umphlett) who then lived near Winton, NC on Nov. 27th, 2004. He never gave me back anything written at the time, but I gave him a $50 deposit by check, so I have the cancelled check. The judge didn't seem to concerned about the validity of my claim - just the amount being asked for. I gave a link to some pictures of the deer and talked about the size.
It turned out that the taxidermist was NOT licensed (I was a little naive and didn't even know there WAS a license for that, so I never checked).
About 8 or 9 months after I gave him the head to do, he moved up to VA (where I live and where I killed the deer) and at some point after that, got busted by the VA Game Wardens for doing taxidermy without a license.

As for how to get the head back, I have no clue. I pretty much demanded he file a police report when I saw him last, but no idea if he will do it or not. I have the game wardens alerted to it and keeping their eyes out.
They supposedly checked out the guy that Larry claimed had access to the shop and "must have taken it". So, I'm at a loss on what to do now.
Thought about possibly taking out ads or something. The head is unique enough that I think it would stand out so that whoever had it would have a hard time doing anything with it. I figure I might print up some flyers and start visiting any taxidermists I can find and hand them pictures of the deer. Whoever has it only has the antlers and not the cape, so they'll probably have to wait for deer season to come in in order to do anything with it, otherwise they'd have a hard time coming up with a cape.

No idea what else to do. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

> -Ken

Return to Current Events Category Menu

A few suggestions

This response submitted by Steve Wolk on 8/2/06 at 12:12 AM. ( LittleCreekTaxidermy@outdrs.net ) 4.245.78.184

Bummer of a scenario. Since you have photos, if possible, have them on a web site or some link where we can see them. Also, if the rack had been scored, such as on an official B&C score sheet, that definately takes the guess work out of knowing for sure if your rack has been spotted or not. Not for sure, but you may want to submit photos in Breakthrough or see if you can put something in the NTA Outlook magazine. Good Luck

Try the folks at North American Whitetail, and Outdoor Life

This response submitted by John on 8/2/06 at 7:41 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.74

These two magazine publications would certainly help "get the word out". Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Boone and Crockett

This response submitted by Drew M on 8/3/06 at 12:15 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.183

B&C has a spot on their website for lost or stolen trophies. Can't hurt to get a picture up there even if it didn't book.

Return to Current Events Category Menu