Crusty: Regarding Bristol Bay Salmon

Submitted by Terry on 8/5/06 at 3:45 AM. ( go_tigers90@yahoo.com ) 64.74.177.170

Could have emailed you this but my email is fighting me; this site is not.

I went down to register for the moose hunt. While there I talked to people in the F&G office. I was told that the salmon were NOT late. Rather what happened is they were strong across the whole migration rather than having one huge peak or spike in numbers. Because the numbers- while fairly strong- were kind of flatlined across the whole of summer (and I was told this was true for all species so far), many people, in the absence of a large peak run, have mistakenly assumed that some of the salmon were "running late".

This is the official answer I was given... Just thought I would pass it along.

Return to Current Events Category Menu

We're

This response submitted by Crusty on 8/5/06 at 12:31 PM. ( ) 72.35.97.141

making like tourists this weekend. Got in-laws in town. Back in town on Monday...

Hey guys

This response submitted by George on 8/5/06 at 2:42 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.195

Does sheep season still open on the 10th? I know the Copper River reds must be running.

Maybe Crusty can field that one George...

This response submitted by Terry on 8/5/06 at 4:09 PM. ( go_tigers90@yahoo.com ) 64.74.177.142

I picked up a new regs booklet a few days ago and cannot for the life of me find it. You'd have to go a bit east from us anyway to get into the sheep. Here on the Nushagak, moose is king. I have one hunting guide friend- and I understand he is biased to a degree- who claims this part of Alaska is simply the best moose hunting in the world, for both size and number. I do know caribou numbers are down a bit, though the guy at the F/G office says our herd is at a much healthier number (too high before I guess). We are down to a 3 caribou limit here this year. That is a change from 5.

You know how to hurt a guy, Terry

This response submitted by George on 8/5/06 at 4:13 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.195

Once you go to Alaska, you can never go home again. MAN! Do I miss that place. Maybe next year.

Totally agree George...

This response submitted by Terry on 8/5/06 at 5:41 PM. ( go_tigers90@yahoo.com ) 64.74.177.111

I have heard it said people either love Alaska or hate it ... there is seldom a middle ground. I love it and this is my second time up here... I know I have had friends come up to go fishing and they always say afterwards that the fishing back home is just never the same after that. How many times have you been up here George?

Three times

This response submitted by George on 8/5/06 at 7:10 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.195

Got a late start in life which was fortunate for me I suppose. Had I come earlier, I'd have never come back here.

LOL...

This response submitted by Terry on 8/5/06 at 7:18 PM. ( go_tigers90@yahoo.com ) 64.74.177.157

It's NEVER too late, at least until they plant you in the ground I guess.

It is a special place isn't it? Good to know you have seen and appreciated its beauty George. Here's hoping to a long life that will allow you a few more trips back. If you ever make it to SW Alaska look me up. :-)

Return to Current Events Category Menu