Eagle killing a Coyote? Must See to believe!

Submitted by Easton on 8/5/06 at 11:18 AM. ( ) 69.178.193.108

I came upon this picture. What do you guys think? Truthfully I think it was put together in a photo shop.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=424396&sort=2&thecat=542&password=

Return to Current Events Category Menu

Coyote?

This response submitted by Don on 8/5/06 at 11:45 AM. ( ) 192.44.136.113

Looks like a fox to me.

It's a Yote

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 8/5/06 at 12:52 PM. ( dakota AT mtaonline.net ) 12.21.214.97

and it's in Alaska (I know the guy that took the pic), the eagles here have been know to carry off dogs and cats, why not a yote?

Wolfie

Sure looks like a fox

This response submitted by Jessica on 8/5/06 at 1:18 PM. ( horseelady_jessie@yahoo.com ) 207.231.119.48

The tip of it's tail is white, sure looks like a red fox to me, just in a different color phase. What kind of eagle? If it's a bald eagle can't be very old, hasn't shed it's baby colors. Ever notice some one always knows who took the pic? No matter what it's of or where it came from?

Red fox

This response submitted by Don on 8/5/06 at 1:43 PM. ( ) 192.44.136.113

The white around the mouth ,the white on the tail ,the black on the ears and feet it sure looks like it to me.

Looks like a fox to me as well

This response submitted by George on 8/5/06 at 2:27 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.117.10

And eagles don't "carry away" too many bigger animals even if they do kill them. They simply eat them where they lie. They are large birds, but certainly not capable of "carrying" much over 10 to 15 pounds or so. A mature adult eagle will have an 8 foot wingspan, but that's for soaring and gliding. Flapping that much wing with that much weight would kill even a bird of those proportions.

Red

This response submitted by Brian on 8/5/06 at 2:28 PM. ( ) 67.50.234.246

That sure looks like a red fox to me too, but I've had eagles kill trapped coyotes in Wyoming and Arizona.

white and black

This response submitted by white and black on 8/5/06 at 3:00 PM. ( ) 148.78.243.51

Ok ,,, whats the white and black bird in the pic ?

Oh Man

This response submitted by Dall E Llama on 8/5/06 at 3:40 PM. ( ) 70.151.33.134

Magpie, geesh guys scary if you can't tell the difference in the canines, heres another pic from the same guy,

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=399941&sort=1&thecat=500&password=

now go look at the talons on that eagle, ever seen a *** *** lifted off the ground when the talons aren't stuck in the meat! Click on the pic send it to photo shop and enlarge, neither one is grasping that dead *** ***!

Great Picture

This response submitted by Grasshopper on 8/5/06 at 4:04 PM. ( ) 64.33.242.212

Looks to me like a Golden eagle got a little ticked off at the Coyote/fox (that one is still up in the air to me) as it tried to dine on the carcass of another animal. Hence the presence of the black and white magpie. I don't think the eagle was looking to make a meal out of this animal. Just protecting its meal from a scavenger, and both fox and coyotes will scavange for food, however fox prefer to catch rabbits and mice and small animals. In comparison to the coyote which is known as a scavenger that readily feeds on the carcasses of other animals.

But the average coyote is 32-37 inches head and body. Plus a 11-16 inch tail. So approximately 43-63 inches with an average weight of 20-50lbs. Which would be about half and then some of the wingspan of an adult golden eagles which as George stated is 78 inches just under 8 feet.

The average red fox is 22-25 inches head and body with a tail 14-16 inches. So appoximately 36-41 inches in length with an average weight of 10-15lbs. These measuremments would be about the length of one wing minus the body of the bird in the picture.
If and, maybe Glen Conley could do it with his computer, maybe if you straighten the animal out and compare it to the eagle in the "background" it does seem longer than half the ealges wing span. The animal also seems to have long legs unlike the fox I have seen, but I have never seen one being struck by an ealge and flying through the air before either.

A Red Fox is easily identified by the white tip of the tail. But is that the underside of the tip of the tail that is so visibly white? Both fox and coyotes have too many color schemes to go by color especially in a photograph that is not real high quality. None the less it is a cool picture.

Fox or Coyote ? I don't know and I aint going to make the call just adding my 2 cents which is what I know but I still don't know LOL

Grasshopper

Thats a fox also

This response submitted by Don on 8/5/06 at 4:40 PM. ( ) 192.44.136.113

Theres no doubt about it thats a fox in the second picture.LOL!

Jessica

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 8/5/06 at 6:29 PM. ( dakota AT mtaonline.net ) 12.21.214.97

I do happen to know him, have bought a few furs from him in the past. But, whatever.

Wolfie

Tim the Tool Man

This response submitted by LOL on 8/5/06 at 6:41 PM. ( ) 148.78.243.51

The guy with the Chick looks like Tim the Tool Man Taylor off Home Improvements with Beard I think that might even be one of the tool girls as well . Nice rack LOL

second link to the Pic

This response submitted by lol on 8/5/06 at 6:41 PM. ( ) 148.78.243.51

second link to the Pic ToolMan

LOL

This response submitted by samantha on 8/5/06 at 7:00 PM. ( ) 58.108.29.148

Come on guys - thats a red fox.

I had the impression the eagle had just let go of the fox for one reason or another.

I was shown this 'little bit' clearer pic.
http://www.shrewbows.com/rons_linkpics/Lunch.JPG

Well...

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 8/5/06 at 9:21 PM. ( dakota AT mtaonline.net ) 12.21.214.97

I have to agree with Grasshopper that its a Golden Eagle, and does it matter if it's a coyote or fox? Our yotes are TEENY compared to some of those in the lower 48... And I also agree that it looks like a food fight tussle to me because of the Magpie...lol

I'll try and get hold of the guy that took it and see what he REALLY has to say!

Wolfie

PS: Mite take a few days!

nary a coyote in here

This response submitted by Dall E Llama on 8/5/06 at 10:17 PM. ( ) 70.151.33.134

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=208603

Golden and red fox

This response submitted by Steve on 8/5/06 at 10:35 PM. ( falcotait@softcom.net ) 67.72.98.45

I believe the golden is a young male (lots of white under the wings) and the fox would be a full grown male. Could be a female golden but the one female I flew had a wing cord measurement of 26" which is average to large. Her favorite lure was a red fox skin that I made for her. Golden eagles will kill coyotes, fox, and rarely wolves if forced to. They can get killed by wolves and large male coyotes if not experienced in that type of challenge. They learn very early on to grab ALL quarry by the head which this one is not doing, so I'd guess the eagle is only pushing the fox away. Odd pose for both critters though.

Return to Current Events Category Menu