What about those sturgeons!

Submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/9/06 at 8:27 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.14

Go sturgeons!

Jumping sturgeon whacks jet-skier

WILDWOOD, Florida (AP) -- A man riding a personal watercraft was injured after a 4-foot-long sturgeon jumped out of the water and hit him, wildlife officials said.

Blake Nicholas Fessenden, 23, was heading north on the Suwannee River on Sunday when he was hit and fell off the craft, according to a statement from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Fessenden was knocked unconscious.

His girlfriend was riding another watercraft behind him and was able to get to Fessenden and hold his head above water before passengers on another vessel arrived to pull him from the water, officials said.

He was airlifted to a Gainesville hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, officials said.

A 31-year-old woman was hospitalized in April after a 3-foot-long sturgeon jumped into a boat being driven by the woman's fiance. The pair was also on the Suwannee River.

Officials at the time said similar accidents occur once or twice a year on the river and that the fish can jump as high as 8 feet in the air and can weigh up to 200 pounds.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/09/jetski.sturgeon.ap/index.html

I know I sound insensitive but I absolutely HATE these GD #$^&%&^*$. Not only are many of the people on them rude and annoying (I've had them get so close to my anchored boat I could almost touch them and I've had them run over my fishing lines) the noise they make is very annoying. One of the reasons I rarely fish public waters anymore and haven't even bought my fishing license yet and probably won't.

Return to Current Events Category Menu

Cecil

This response submitted by Glenn on 8/9/06 at 9:08 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.202

Thats a bit harsh. What bothers me is p.w.c. can stop and turn so much faster than a boat, I'm always afraid of running one over. They always seem to get out of the way though.

Keep in mind these are MOSTLY just kids having a good time.

Maybe it is harsh Glenn

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/9/06 at 1:10 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.14

but around here it's NOT mostly kids. We had little girl killed here on a local lakes by one here a few years back. A women was cutting the wakes of power boats with one. She came over a wake and wham smacked right into a little girl being pulled on an innertube. It's now illegal to do this but they still do it on a regular basis.

We also had a doctor electrocute himself on one a few years back. He was charging a battery on one while he was standing in the water along with the jet ski in the water. Dumb!

I quit fishing several public waters

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 8/9/06 at 10:54 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.202

Because of them. I moved out of the main bodies first then they started finding those ares to be fun areas to race. Kids or not they should respect others when riding. Some do most don't. Is there room for both fishermen and PWC on the water, yes. Its just as much thier right as anyone but, the common sense that most display is why my Kids will never have one. I hear to many horror stories about them. I trust my kids judgement but, it is hard when they see so many others doing what they aren't allowed.

You guys never raised a little he!

This response submitted by Glenn on 8/10/06 at 12:28 AM. ( ) 152.163.101.12

You can always go night fishing, or early in the morning, I doubt you will see many pwc before 10 am. Atleast until the water cools.

Cecil: I would quit fishing public waters too, If I had a pond loaded with bass in my backyard. ha ha

Again that's not the case around here Glenn

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/10/06 at 10:29 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.103

First light with some of them is their favorite time as they love to churn the water when it's glassy smooth. And we have them on the lakes in wet suits when the water is cold. I've seen them zoom by duck hunters in their blinds!

I don't have too much of a problem if they stay away from me especially in a large lake or reservoir. But sadly that's not usually the case. I've actually been fishing in an 800 acre lake during late fall here with only a jetskier and I. Guess what? The SOB had to be near me even though he had the rest of the f'ing lake!

Sturgeons you have my blessing!

Return to Current Events Category Menu