floor base for elk pedestal

Submitted by Steven on 8/10/06 at 12:29 PM. ( )

I know this is not the right category for this question, but no one will answer it elsewhere. I have a 400 class b&c elk pedestal for a client. The floor base is going to be an wood octagon style base. Do I need to put some kind of extra weighting on the base to keep it from tipping over? It seems like the antlers, form, and cape will be a lot of weight for that base. If someone cold give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Return to Current Events Category Menu

This response submitted by Grafton on 8/10/06 at 12:53 PM. ( )

think if the base would tip over then it is undersized for the mount. I do not like a pedistal that looks too top heavy. If you like that look you may have to add weight to the base. There are a number of ways to do that.

I did one

This response submitted by curtis on 8/10/06 at 1:22 PM. ( )

I did a 380 bull on a octagon pedestal made of oak. The demensions were the same as a stop sign on the top and bottom. It supported the bull just fine. I used two 3/4 inch lags running from the bottom of the the form. I made the top of the octogon so it could be taken on and off. Yours should be fine just make sure pedestal has a wide enough support base.

Return to Current Events Category Menu