Country star accused of illegally killing tame bear

Submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/16/06 at 11:34 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.103

WOW a real wannabe Teg Nugent! People like this give us a bad name.

DULUTH, Minnesota (AP) -- Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry, has been accused of killing a tame black bear that federal officials say he tagged as killed in the wild.

Gentry, 39, of Franklin, Tennessee, and Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, of Sandstone, appeared Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Raymond Erickson in connection with a sealed indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Minneapolis.

Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly's property in October 2004.

The government alleges that Gentry and Greenly tagged the bear with a Minnesota hunting license and registered the animal with the state Department of Natural Resources as a wild kill.

Gentry allegedly paid about $4,650 for the bear, named Cubby. The bear's death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a "fair chase" hunting situation, the government alleges.

If convicted, both Gentry and Greenly face a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison and a $20,000 fine.

Gentry's manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter, expects to be exonerated.

Gentry "relied on the knowledge and expertise of a local guide to obtain the proper permit," Dorris said in a written statement. "Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment."

Greenly did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Montgomery Gentry, along with co-singer Eddie Montgomery, are known for hits such as "My Town" and "If You Ever Stop Loving Me."

Return to Current Events Category Menu

It never ceases to amaze me

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/16/06 at 11:36 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.103

that people that do stupid sh** like this actually seal their fate by filming it. Had had a guide! Yuk Yuk Yuk!

I saw a little tour

This response submitted by Dr.Z on 8/16/06 at 11:41 PM. ( ) 70.98.89.172

of T Roy's on TV and the mounted bear looked mighty fat just sittin' there.

"Trophy Hunter!" ...is what most non-hunters will call this!

This response submitted by KIM on 8/17/06 at 12:15 AM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

Well, here we go again! Why do you hunt and kill animals? Hard to not feel pressured to feel embarassed over this "pride and EGO" trip some people have. We have nothing to do with it but now we have got to take the bad looks and other things thrown our way...Know what I mean?

The antis will have a field day for sure!

that's right up there with . . . .

This response submitted by Brad on 8/17/06 at 12:45 AM. ( ) 65.73.67.105

with catching farm raised fish and trying to get them placed in the record books. Gives us all a bad name doesn't it. Yuk, Yuk, Yuk!

what about the taxidermist

This response submitted by scary on 8/17/06 at 1:09 AM. ( ) 65.81.211.91

i don't know if you heard about the taxidermist involved? but, tonight on the 11 o'clock local news in lexington, ky. they were interviewing harry whitehead of gunner's taxidermy and from what i understand now they are going to investigate him. hopefully, he has all his paperwork together and all goes well. something to thimk about!

Brad

This response submitted by J Best on 8/17/06 at 9:20 AM. ( ) 69.179.34.236

I see you've crawled up out of your hole to get your jab in.

I knew that was coming Brad

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/17/06 at 10:23 AM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

But I thought I'd post it anyway. Still jealous and still predictable Brad.

people in glass houses

This response submitted by Brad on 8/17/06 at 10:24 AM. ( ) 65.73.67.215

should not throw stones should they JB ? of course your above it all so why should you care, right ?

Brad thinks it's the same thing

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/17/06 at 10:48 AM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

Brad I'm sorry you don't have the intellecutal capacity, and you're defending this Ahole that is just putting one more nail in the coffin for hunting as we know it. You're a real genius.

show me where I was defending him

This response submitted by Brad on 8/17/06 at 12:47 PM. ( ) 65.73.67.125

cecil.He does not represent 99% of the hunters so no he does not give hunters a bad name just like you do not represent 99% of the fishermen that would try what you did. Not rocket science. All I am saying is that of all people here , you least of all should criticize others for misrepresenting things. You both were wrong, now you both can live with it.

Brad you are defending him

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/17/06 at 2:03 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

by creating a strawman and going after me. It's obvious even to my dog that you have an axe to grind as you've done this on numerous occasions.

Once again for the benefit of others as I know you'll ignore it:

1.) My pond is not a aquaculture facility recognized by the state. They refuse to give me an aquculture permit because I don't meet their definition of an aquaculture facility. Fish hauler and supplier yes -- aquculture facilty permit no. I do the same thing other private pond owners do; buy fingerling or juvenile fish from hatcheries, stock them, and feed them. Only difference is I sell the fish once they are larger to taxidermists and taxidermy schools.

2.)The fish was taken by hook and line icefishing from a 3/4 acre farm pond -- not netted, electroshocked or whatever other method fish farms use to harvest fish. I followed all the fair chase rules put in place for state records. The state even admitted in writing I followed all the rules to a 't'. Are you going to tell me shooting a bear in a cage is "Fair Chase?"

5.) If pellet feeding is the answer to easily grow record size fish why haven't I gotten close to the 2 lb. 13 oz size perch since? The biggest this year was just under 2 lbs. The 2 lb. 13 oz fish was an anomaly just like all state and world records. Brook trout I can grow to state record size partly because the state record here is so small and trout have been domesticated to grow fast. However I have never entered any of the brook trout I catch out of the trout pond as it's too easy and would be unfair.

6.) The state maintains in their pond management phamlet that feeding fish to get them to get bigger or grow faster in a pond is a waste of time. But yet I'm told I can't enter the fish because it's on a feeding program. Go figure.

4.) And finally the perch was not in a cage and I sure as hell didn't shooot it with bow! LOL

I could care less anymore if it's a record to the state or not. It's a personal best for me and that is all I care about. What I do care about is you comparing me to this slob hunter.

Well Cecil

This response submitted by Brad on 8/17/06 at 3:53 PM. ( ) 65.73.67.159

have you ever considered that this man may have his own story and set of facts to give like you just did ? You have only heard one side of the story and then decided to perpetuate it true or false. The article says he has been "accused" and then goes on to say " if convicted " . His maneger says "Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment".

Ever been falsely accused Cecil ? How does it feel ? that's just what you are doing to him.

You have decide to be judge , jury , and prossecutioner all in one and decided he is guilty until proven innocent but then cry that our constitutional rights are being infringed upon by the President through the NSA program ?. Your a real piece of work Cecil and you talk out of both sides of your mouth.

My serious retort on this matter!

This response submitted by KIM (personal) on 8/17/06 at 4:13 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

First off, all people make mistakes and have, shall we say, "Misadventures" a time or two in their lives.

A man BUYS a bear. This same person then KILLS the bear IN A CAGE. IT IS DONE in such a way as to PROVE his abilities as a hunter in a fair chase or pursuit situation for the explicit purpose of RECOGNITION, PRIDE, EGO etc.? This same person LIES to the state and tries to pull some "I DID IT" success story over it. The bear was not killed in the WILDS AND THE BEAR WAS NOT REALLY A WILD BEAR. IT WAS A FAKE and FRAUD from the get-go!

Ok, the guy got caught. Fair enough. Now it is the Bear's turn since the poor thing was trustworthy of people and was setup (in a cage) and never had a chance.

This guy, his friends or whatever shot their mouth off and now have to pay the price! ...SOUNDS FAIR TO ME!

Just my opinion, I could be wrong!----KIM

Kim you have no seriou retorts

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/17/06 at 9:33 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

They're all tongue in cheek or conspriracy theories!

All is well...

This response submitted by Harry Whitehead on 8/20/06 at 6:57 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.200

Yes I had all of my paperwork in order. I am in no trouble what so ever but I am a witness and I am under a restraining order about the case. What I can say is that I mounted the bear and all of the tags associated with taking in such and animal accompanied the skin. What the media doesn't understand is that Mr. Gentry is in trouble for possibly violating the Lacy Act. Who gives a s--t that he killed a pet bear. A pet bears life is no more precious than a wild bear's life. As far as how the bear was killed what about all the people in Texas that shoots deer behind fences? That is a mute point that the bear was killed behind a fence. Only problem he has is he tagged it as a wild bear and then crossed state lines by shipping it to me. I'll respond in more detail after the trial.

Return to Current Events Category Menu