Processed Meats and Stomach Cancer

Submitted by KIM ***FYI** on 8/18/06 at 10:55 AM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

My answer is : eat venison! Process the animal yourself!

Connection between Processed Meats and Stomach Cancer

New research from Karolinska Institutet in Sweden has established that increased consumption of processed meat products such as bacon, sausages and smoked ham, increases the risk of developing stomach cancer. A survey of a large number of studies has shown that the risk of developing stomach cancer increases by between 15% and 38% when consumption of processed meat products increases by about a half-portion per day. Stomach cancer accounts for nearly 10% of total deaths from cancer.

The incidence of stomach cancer throughout the world has fallen during the last 50 years, but this form of cancer is still the fourth most common. Its mortality rate is so high that it is the second most common cause of cancer-related death. Approximately 700,000 deaths from this form of cancer occur every year throughout the world.

Processed meats are often salted or smoked, or nitrites may be added to them, in order to prolong their shelf-life. It may be the case that these treatments increase the risk of developing stomach cancer, but previous studies have given contradictory results.

"We decided to carry out a meta-analysis. This is an analysis in which we collated all research into processed meats and stomach cancer that we could find", explains Susanna Larsson, research student under the supervision of Alicja Wolk at The Institute of Environmental Medicine at Karolinska Institutet.

They found 15 studies, covering 4,704 subjects in the period 1966  2006, and the results are unequivocal: the risk of developing stomach cancer increases by between 15% and 38% when consumption of processed meat products increases by 30 grams (approximately a half-portion) per day.

"Nobody had carried out this type of analysis into processed meats and stomach cancer," says Susanna Larsson, "and our results from a mean value show very clearly that there is an association between increased consumption of processed meat products and stomach cancer. We hope that further studies will clarify the interaction between the consumption of processed meats and other factors, such as other dietary factors and the effects of different bacteria on the incidence of stomach cancer."

Publication:
"Processed Meat Consumption and Stomach Cancer Risk: A Meta-Analysis"

Susanna C. Larsson, Nicola Orsini and Alicja Wolk

Journal of the National Cancer Institute, volym 98, nummer 15, augusti 2006

Return to Current Events Category Menu

Hmmm, "processed meat", huh

This response submitted by George on 8/18/06 at 11:31 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.70

I've heard of being hungry enough to eat the ass out of a skunk but I never knew it was something I needed to do in the unlikely event that I might develop stomach cancer. If "bacon" and "smoked ham" are considered "processed", what other alternative is there besides eating raw meat.

Just face it. Living is the cause of 100% of the deaths in the world.

Right you are George! Right you are!

This response submitted by KIM on 8/18/06 at 11:40 AM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

I read so much and find all of this info, that the simple act of being "alive" is a dangerous thing in society today! LOL

Too many possibilities, too much this or that! Hell, if I'm hungry, I have made up my mind that I am going to kill something and eat it! ...Along with the garden we have growing..

Life is great until we wakeup! LMAO

Return to Current Events Category Menu