Thousands of Marines face involuntary recalls

Submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/22/06 at 3:57 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

WASHINGTON

(AP) -- The U.S. Marine Corps said Tuesday it has been authorized to recall thousands of Marines to active duty, primarily because of a shortage of volunteers for duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Up to 2,500 Marines will be brought back at any one time, but there is no cap on the total number of Marines who may be forced back into service in the coming years. The call-ups will begin in the next several months.

This is the first time the Marines have had to use the involuntary recall since the early days of the Iraq combat. The Army has ordered back about 14,000 soldiers since the start of the war.

Marine Col. Guy A. Stratton, head of the manpower mobilization section, estimated that there is a shortfall of about 1,200 Marines needed to fill positions in upcoming unit deployments.

The call-up affects Marines in the Individual Ready Reserve, a segment of the reserves that consists mainly of those who left active duty but still have time remaining on their eight-year military obligation.

Generally, Marines enlist for four years, then serve the other four years either in the regular Reserves, where they are paid and train periodically, or they may elect to go into the IRR. Marines in the IRR are only obligated to report one day a year but can be involuntarily recalled to active duty.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/22/marines.ap/index.html

Would someone please explain to me if Rumsfeld keeps asserting our Armed Forces are not stretched thin why this is necessary? Does anyone believe him anymore?

Return to Current Events Category Menu

don't worry, be happy

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 8/22/06 at 4:15 PM. ( ) 63.227.248.125

At least this was not the day of the start end of the world that Kim talked about. Cecil can you please be happy that you live in the greatest country on earth in all of history? Some people want to keep it that way.

Who said I wasn't happy Jim?

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/22/06 at 4:25 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

LOL

you are right.

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 8/22/06 at 4:54 PM. ( ) 63.227.248.125

I am assuming again! I forgot liberals are always high and happy with flowers in thier hair. Sorry. Our military is stretched thin and I agree that anyone that says we are not is dreaming. It is a dangerous world out there.

MARINE

This response submitted by MAC on 8/22/06 at 5:48 PM. ( bivotax@hughes.net ) 67.142.130.43

I guess you guys are to young to know about what freedom means. I spent two years in VietNam, and for one I am willing to go back into the Marine Corps, because as before "Freedom has a Flavor that the Protected Will Never Know" Stop crying about who should go and who shouldn"t go, ever time you cry, you are desrespecting the men and women who have laid down their lives for YOU! Sempi FI Do or Die Hurah...

Mac

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 8/22/06 at 6:38 PM. ( ) 63.227.248.125

please do NOT put me in the same "you guys" as Cecil on this. Read my first response.

Mac

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/22/06 at 7:10 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

From one person that has served to another you misunderstand. Who's crying? I was merely pointing out how Rumsfeld says we are not stretched and then this. See the contradiction?

We can discuss whether invading Iraq has made us free or actually made things worse, but that was not the point of this post was it?

I dont agree with Cecil, 99 % of the time-

This response submitted by oldshaver on 8/23/06 at 6:24 PM. ( ) 68.221.5.249

but, I think a forced recall is wrong! Just like the 260 million going to aid Lebanon!

It would be nice

This response submitted by J Best on 8/23/06 at 7:10 PM. ( ) 64.33.143.117

if this administration at LEAST had a a clue about what their plan is in Iraq. All you hear is.."We will stay the course", or "It's getting better all of the time in Iraq". (ok..sure)

How about giving the general public a basic strategy and plan for the future of the Iraq war..? Is that too much to ask? The right wingers continue to support this FAILED strategy with a vengeance and anyone that disagrees is immediately labeled as a flaming liberal that should be deported.

Rumsfeld didn't think the war would go much past 2 weeks, at the most 6 weeks. ( I can get the exact quote if anyone wants a source).
They went in with a half-@ssed plan, and they still don't have a plan. If you support the president or not, how can you not want to know where we are going in Iraq and question as to why we have no direct plan of action announced to us from the top..IE the circus in the Whitehouse.

Today over $1,000 in taxes per year must be collected for every man, woman and child in the United States simply to pay the interest on the national debt. Do any of you hard line Bush supporters look into any of this kind of data when you make your decisions at the poll, or before you scream the liberal yada yada yada because you are not eductated on the matters?

It seems that the hard nosed republicans of this day and age care nothing about some of the MAJOR issues regarding national debt and the state of our own country, but rather they support anyone who claims to "know God" and wants to spend a billion a day on a war.

When questioned about the lack of planning and failures in what they have done, you can see the arrogant attitudes and basically "f you" gestures coming from the cronies in the Whitehouse.

Anyone repubs care to explain this?

Simple

This response submitted by DaveT on 8/23/06 at 9:23 PM. ( ) 24.32.87.64

Simple, we have taken the fight (offense) to the terrorist where they live instead of sitting behind a blue dress waiting for them to plan and attack us where we live. It really is not all that hard to understand. We are going to fight this war, the terrorist will see to that, the question is where do you want to fight it.

DaveT

Dave

This response submitted by J Best on 8/23/06 at 11:16 PM. ( ) 64.33.136.76

If our borders are secure as they should be, how do you think they will bring the fight to us?

As a side note..do you realize that NONE of the terrorists on 9/11 were Iraqi's?

The cost of this war is outweighing the benefits..so your answer is "simple", but incorrect.

Anyone else want to take a stab at this?

Don't waste you time J Best on Dave Toms

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/24/06 at 12:53 AM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

He can't admit what a f'up Iraq has become because he'd have to admit he's wrong and been wrong for quite a while. And he'd have to admit what f'up Dumbya and his crew of Rumsfeld, Cheney, and Wolfowitz are. Afterall he has a picture of Dumbya on his website. Need I say more?

Take the fight to the terrorists? What a crock of B.S.

as a conservative

This response submitted by Nat on 8/24/06 at 2:56 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.6

of the Buchanan ilk I don't agree with this war in Irac either but I wouldn't quit now.J Best ,do you seriously think that the borders will be any more secure if the liberal Democrats take control ? Clinton called himself an Internationalist ,George Bush is a Globalist to me they are both the same and the petty wars will continue because both parties have designs on the world.The only question is what do we do about Iran and thier nuclear program?How about Bosnia did we really need to bomb the hell out of that little country ,what ever happened over there anyway? Well I guess you could say ,we didn't get bogged down there ,we just blew the hell out of them and got the hell out .I'll bet every thing is just hunky dory over there now .

Border Security

This response submitted by J Best on 8/24/06 at 9:31 AM. ( ) 69.179.34.236

I was mainly pointing out the fact that Dave and the like have taken this Iraq war view, because it's been spread around on the right wing radio shows for years now as a main talking point. ("We have to fight them over there, so we aren't fighting them here".

If that's the case, then EVERYONE that states that point believes we are not capable of defending our country from inside of our borders.

For every ten fundamentalists that are killed in Iraq, 20 more are converted because they don't understand the reasons we are there. We are fighting a bunch of crazy extremists who's numbers are going up, not down, and this will continue to be the scenerio. We are talking thousands upon thousands of Islam extremists that actually believe that they need to kill any infidel in the name of allah. I truly believe that until we show a MAJOR show of force to these pieces os S***, then it will continue to grow. Trying to hold back a growing insurgency in Iraq is only helping to spread the extreme views in the Muslim world.

JBest

This response submitted by DaveT on 8/24/06 at 6:41 PM. ( ) 24.32.87.64

You are sounding more and more like Cecil. I have not been brainwashed and I do think for myself. Why is it when some of us don't take to your liberal agenda we "have been brainwashed?"

I assure you, being active duty today, and having been over to the sandbox on several occasions, and as my position at an Anti-terrorism rep, I actually do think and form my opinions off of actual facts not the TV. So where do you get all your data from?

The terrorist have tried on many occasions to attack us, some you know about and some you never will, be that as it may, the USA has thwarted every attack so far. So excuse me if I think that what we are doing is better then the alternative the liberal democraps have offered (or failed to offer). That is my opinion and despite what the Cecilrellas of the world proclaim I have earned the right to it.

DaveT

DaveT

Dave T

This response submitted by J Best on 8/24/06 at 7:13 PM. ( ) 64.33.136.70

Well..since you've been active duty I guess I was wrong all along! lmao

Just FYI...was active duty myself.

Since you claim to be so knowledgeable, what do you think we should do in Iraq or the middle east for that matter? What do you think will curb terrorism at it's roots?

(I'll call myself a dress wearing liberal with curly locks to save you the trouble in your reply)

But seriously..I would like to hear what you or any other republicans have to say about these issues if anyone feels like responding.

Well since you asked

This response submitted by DaveT on 8/24/06 at 7:54 PM. ( ) 24.32.87.64

I think Iraq is a problem. I also think most reasonable folks realized that this war was going to be different then anything we faced before and would take a long time. I seem to remember President Bush telling the American public that very thing. That is one of the problems, Americans want things fast and over but our enemy is VERY PATIENT and are willing to wait things out.

You see, every time Saddam balked at the UN it empowered terrorist. Through time, they began to see the USA as all talk and no action, as a weak country that barked a lot but seldom was the bite even remotely bad. Bill Clinton did more to weaken this country then any President except perhaps Jimmy Carter.

The WMDs were there; no one disputes that. However, some take the word of a terrorist like Saddam when he claimed he destroyed the WMDs and offered no proof. Others like me think that he used the 6 months that the UN gave him to move his arsenal to Syria and Iran. Who's right? Who the heck knows but one day when a nuke or WMDs is used by a terrorist you will have to ask yourself where did they get it.

The fact is this is not going to get better unless we wipe these rogue nations that harbor terrorists off the map. Selective war does not work. You cannot fight and win a "nice" war. A quick glance at history shows that. When you use force, overwhelming force, then people start measuring the cost of harboring terrorist.

Unfortunately, the USA has its hands tied every time we go to war by the liberal media. Think back for just a moment at all the doomsday predictions by liberal whackos prior to the war. The media pretty well crippled our ability to use overwhelming force before the first shot was ever fired. Thus the cost to terrorist is low. They attack and then blend into their environment knowing full well that the US will not attack when innocent civilians are around. The sad part is that unless we make the cost of harboring terrorist more costly we will NEVER win any of these terrorist wars. That is why so many troops are dying and the conflict in Iraq still lingers. We had the ability to win that conflict in weeks... but world pressure and the liberal whack jobs in this country tied those hands years ago with their ideology that DOES not work.

Now I ask you, what choice do we have? Do you honestly think the problems that brought about events like 9-11 and earlier attacks will go away if we withdraw out of Iraq and if we mind our own business?

The problem has been brewing for 20+ years the difference is they now have weapons and capabilities they did not have before. You choose your route and I will stick by my thoughts. I am a student of history and of world dynamics and I can assure you of two things; 1) the terrorist are not going away and they will not lose their desire to attack America and 2) Liberals have absolutely no answers only criticism. I personally am for making an example out of Iran or Syria and making them pay a hefty price. In my mind that is the only chance we have to stop the crap we see going on in Iraq.

You believe what you want but please quit trying to sound like the rest of us our in some way unintelligent or brainwashed because we think your philosophy (even thought I have not heard one good solution coming out of the left in DC or on this site) is blatantly foolish at best.

Cheers

DaveT

Oh boy where do I start...

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/24/06 at 8:08 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

Never mind!

DaveT

This response submitted by J Best on 8/24/06 at 8:32 PM. ( ) 64.33.143.69

What part of my earlier post did you not comprehend?

"Until we show a MAJOR show of force to these pieces of S***, then it will continue to grow".

Look back, it's up there. You just made my point for me, so thank you. Pussyfooting around with this half @ssed plan in Iraq is getting us nowhere fast which it sounds like you also agree with?
Either finish this war in Iraq and it's surrounding countries with MAJOR power, or get out. Playing nice doesn't work over there.

J Best

This response submitted by DaveT on 8/24/06 at 11:18 PM. ( ) 24.32.87.64

I respect your opinion and we probably do not differ a whole lot. A lot of times meaning is lost in the typed message as we cannot pick up on the tone or way things are said. I have a feeling we would get along if we were in the same room.

I do support the President and think that he has been a man of integrity. I know some disagree, I can live with that. But they are not going to change my opinion. The truth is President Bush has done a phenominal job considering what was handed to him and what he has had to deal with.

DaveT

DaveT

Return to Current Events Category Menu