Mountain Lion Shacks Up in Colorado Home

Submitted by gina on 8/24/06 at 9:29 AM. ( ) 71.236.215.234

Mountain Lion Shacks Up in Colorado Home

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Aug. 24) - A mountain lion ran into a home Tuesday and escaped through a window about an hour later.

Soon after he arrived home from work, Clifton Sanches said he heard his dogs barking loudly outside.

"I got up to shut the dogs up and a mountain lion came through my window, it came right through my screen door," Sanches told KKTV.

He went to a neighbor's house to call for help and he and sheriff's deputies waited outside the house. About an hour later, the big cat butted its head against a screened window before breaking through and running away. No one was injured in the incident.

"They really don't want an encounter with us; as much as we don't really want an encounter with them," said Deputy Lori Harrell of the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.

Two mountain lions were spotted in Colorado Springs last month. Wildlife officials shot and killed one of the cats because it seemed lethargic and ailing.

"To have a mountain lion sighting is one thing. To have a mountain lion actually enter a structure is really rare," Colorado Division of Wildlife spokesman Michael Seraphin said.

08-24-06 02:24 EDT

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Return to Current Events Category Menu

I had

This response submitted by Alex Sr on 8/24/06 at 2:59 PM. ( ) 66.32.82.159

A big Old Coon make his home in my Cabin, he was there probably 4 months , boy what a mess !

Coons and Mt. Lions

This response submitted by David Patton on 8/24/06 at 6:30 PM. ( ) 12.76.232.209

Whatever happened to a good ol' shooting? Hank used to sing about a shotgun, rifle and a four wheel drive.

Return to Current Events Category Menu