Ladies and Gentlmen we are getting old

Submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/24/06 at 7:05 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

Pluto is no longer considered a plant by astronomers. You know what that means don't you? In the near future one of your grandkids is going to say, "Wow you mean there was another planet out there? Wow that must have been a long long time ago Granpa!"

It will be just like drive-in-movies, fullserve gas stations, 8 track tapes etc. etc.

Return to Current Events Category Menu

See that edit feature...

This response submitted by marty on 8/24/06 at 7:20 PM. ( ) 24.15.97.161

...would come in handy here. Unless of course you Hoosiers have been teaching your kids all along that Pluto is a PLANT instead of PLANET - lol!

Thanks Marty

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/24/06 at 7:26 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

Yes it would be nice to have an edit button. I never even caught that. I'm dead tired today -- that must be it.

So pluto

This response submitted by Alex Sr on 8/24/06 at 7:44 PM. ( ) 66.32.82.159

will be renamed by Disney ?

We have...

This response submitted by jrosbor on 8/24/06 at 7:51 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

A drive-in in a near by town. AND I still have my 8 track player and some tapes.

Funny, I was recording some cd's for my daughter and I asked her to grab me a tape so I could record one for my shop. She brings me a roll of tape! I swear she had no clue what I was talking about!

Jrosbro the point was

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/24/06 at 7:59 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

not that you still have them or know what they are -- the point was your grandkids won't have a clue.

Actually we have a drive-in about 20 miles up the road and it's quite popular but they aren't as common as they used to be.

Heck, most kids nowadays...

This response submitted by marty on 8/24/06 at 8:14 PM. ( ) 24.15.97.161

...don't know what an album or cassette is either. "8-Tracks" to them is like the Victrola was to us - lol! (Well, most of us - sorry George!)

As a matter of fact

This response submitted by George on 8/24/06 at 9:10 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.101.5

The Victrola museum is here in Dover, but my grandparents had and played one often. Even had the cylindrical records. My other grandparents had floor model battery radio until they got the 78 record player. BTW Cecil, as a high school kid our favorite radio station in South Carolina was WOWO in Fort Wayne, Indiana. 1200 on the AM dial and there weren't enough stations in between to drown out the 100,000 watts of broadcast power they advertised. But then again, we had windshield wipers powered by the vacuum off the carburator and they only worked going down hill, all cars were manual shift and the starter was a button on the floor and later one on the dash. The headlight dimmer switch was under the clutch pedal and we got gas from those hand pumps where you gave the guy a dollar bill and he'd pump 10 gallons of gas up into a big glass dome and it would gravity feed into your fuel tank. All cars had wool interiors and many cars had a "granny" gear in them for pulling out of ditches and ruts on the dirt roads. "Gee" and "haw" were words every boy learned and one bath a week was about the norm as hot water heaters weren't that common either. Both grandmothers had wood stoves to cook all their meals on and everyone knew what a pie safe and a chifforobe was along with running boards, portawalls, and the boot on a car. Every sophomore in high school needed a slide rule and penny loafers weren't penny loafers if they weren't genuine Weegens. If a girl French kissed a guy,the whole school knew about it the next day and the only weeds we knew anything about were crabgrass and Bermuda.

You children have led such dull and sheltered lives. I pity you sometimes. LMAO

A plant?

This response submitted by Becky P on 8/24/06 at 9:42 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.195

I didn't catch it either, but that was funny Marty. LOL Guess now they'll have to throw out all those text books.
We have a drive-in about 40 minutes away. It's real popular. We took our son and know him and his friends go pretty often (we go too sometimes, wish it were closer). Only thing the kids don't quite get the full effect, now the speaker is actually your radio, so it is a much better quality, with everyone's radios playing, you get surround sound.LOL At least it's someplace safe, laid back, and family oriented. BP

George, it IS interesting...

This response submitted by marty on 8/24/06 at 9:43 PM. ( ) 24.15.97.161

...listening to the way things were back then. How much "simpler" a time it was. Kids these days don't know how fortunate they are to have all the stuff that they do (or "unfortunate" depending on your perspective). My grandmother passed away a few years back but she was born in 1908 and it was always interesting to hear how things were back then. She even dated Alfonze Capone's chauffer for a short time! Thanks for the trip back in time George. Please send French Kiss girl's number!

Becky...

This response submitted by marty on 8/24/06 at 9:50 PM. ( ) 24.15.97.161

We use to do several trips a year to one of the last drive-in movies around here. But, unfortunately they closed down this year. The whole town petitioned and everything trying to save it. But it got demo'd late this past July. They're putting a huge subdivision in now. Depressing. We had a lot of fun. We'd get there about an hour early to claim a spot up close. And toss the nerf football around in front of the screen and work up a sweat before the movie. It was fun. And all 5 of us could go for under $20 bucks. Bring our own popcorn and goodies. So it was affordable.

There has been an increased popularity in them latley. I've read that a few have popped up in a couple of states. The one that is still within driving distance for us (an easy hour each way) costs as much as a regular movie though! And that hour back is just too long of a drive after all that popcorn...

I heard the news today, oh boy ...

This response submitted by Nancy C. on 8/24/06 at 11:30 PM. ( ) 4.243.50.250

Pluto is no longer a planet and Tom Cruise is no longer a star.

There's still

This response submitted by John M on 8/25/06 at 12:24 AM. ( ) 68.117.26.206

Drive- ins, at least in both the towns I grew up by. The Cherry Bowl (we called it something else in the back of my galaxy 500) in Honor MI. and we have the Starlite in Sister Bay WI. (20 mi north)of me now. I still have Bob Seagers Night Moves , Alice Cooper, and Blue Oyster Cult on 8 track and it sounds great! Esp. after a dooby and some cold ones!

Well I still feel incredibly young BUT...

This response submitted by Terry on 8/25/06 at 4:20 AM. ( go_tigers90@yahoo.com ) 64.74.177.139

...I did own an 8 track tape player and had a huge collection of Charlie Pride tapes (I learned what 'outcast' meant early on in life; everyone else was listening to KISS), as well as a few Charlie Daniels tapes too.

Also I did grow up near a drive-in movie theater AND it is still there today. It draws decent numbers still, just because of the novelty of it (Kanopolis Drive-In, Kanopolis, KS). We used to put bean bags in the back of the pick up and park backwards.

AM radio was what I went to sleep to. The two I tuned in to were WBAP out of Dallas and KOMA out of Tulsa.

I choose to see it both ways though. Times were great back then but there's still really great times ahead. :-)

Actually,

This response submitted by George on 8/25/06 at 9:10 PM. ( ) 64.12.117.5

The "good old days" never were. The mind is a beautiful device that strains out the bad and leaves the good to cherish. People live longer today than they did 50 years ago simply because we've improved the quality of life. Drinking water out of a bucket put you in line for polio, diptheria, typhus, typhoid, and cholera along with dysentary. Eating pork that had been fed slop set you up for trichonosis. Bathing once a week was accepted and few people brushed their teeth at all, much less twice or three times a day. Barbers would still pull teeth if you let them and he was always cheaper than the dentist. And when the temperature was 105 outside, it was more like 120 inside. Roads were in terrible shape and schools were just as bad. It's nice to allow my mind to recall the "good" stuff, but like most, the truth isn't quite so sweet.

hmmmmmmmm

This response submitted by me on 8/25/06 at 9:16 PM. ( ) 63.227.248.125

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Does this still mean there's no rings around Uranus?

They aren't rings Cecil

This response submitted by George on 8/25/06 at 11:20 PM. ( ) 64.12.117.5

The big ones are on Saturn by the way. But they aren't rings. They're extraterrestrial debis caught in the gravitational pull of the parent planet that have aligned themselves along the magnetic axis of the plant.

That wasn't me George

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/26/06 at 9:11 AM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

Check the IP number. Close but no enchilada. And I know what the rings are thank you very much.

Sorry Cecil

This response submitted by George on 8/26/06 at 9:41 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.195

You've been wired up of late and I'd wrongly ASSUMED that it was you.

it was me

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 8/26/06 at 1:19 PM. ( ) 63.227.248.125

but it was ONLY meant as a general funny response to all the posts. Nothing personal to anyone. I think we all need to smile a little more!

I smile the best when

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 8/26/06 at 1:49 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.8

George gets all bent out of shape. LOL I'd probably smile more if I read some of his ramblings, but usually the first one or two sentences is good enough for me. HeHe

Marty

This response submitted by Becky P on 8/26/06 at 4:53 PM. ( ) 64.12.117.5

that really bites. It's funny how NOW we want to go to a drive-in and when I was a kid it was "cool" to go to the indoor theater and not the outdoor. Ours is only $10 a car load, pretty darn cheap. We usually grab a bucket of fried chicken on the way and get there plenty early, if not, it's hard to find a good spot. Just waiting for it to cool back a bit to go, too hot to sit outside when it's still 90 degrees at 10 pm. LOL

Return to Current Events Category Menu