Dog became aggressive after a seizure, any advice?

Submitted by Terri on 8/25/06 at 7:46 AM. ( ) 63.252.231.60

This is my first time to post, but I enjoy reading the posts. Last night our three year old English Setter had a seizure. This is her first time to have a seizure. Our friends have her brother and he has also had a seizure. We called the vet and he talked us thru it, it was sure hard to watch. After she was done convulsing she sat up and was frothing at the mouth and then became very aggressive. She was growling,running around the house and bearing her teeth. We sent the kids upstairs because we were so afraid of her. The vet heard her on the phone and said that it was unusual for dogs to become aggressive like that after a seizure. He said it does happen occasionally. It took her about an hour to finally come out of everything and lay down and go to sleep. This morning she is her sweet self. Has anyone else experienced the aggression after a seizure with their dog and what have you done to treat it? We are wondering if she sensed our panic and fear and that we possibly caused her to become more agitated and scared. I also read that sometimes they are blind right after a seizure and maybe we startled her. If anyone has any experience with this we would sure appreciate and thoughts. Our kids are home alone with her after school for a short time and I worry about them being around her if she has another seizure and becomes aggressive. I am also very afraid to leave her in her crate when we aren't home in case she has a seizure. Thanks for any thoughts or advice. Good day to all.

Return to Current Events Category Menu

The Problem probably is...

This response submitted by g on 8/25/06 at 9:21 AM. ( ) 207.200.116.137

INBREEDING. Highly inbred dogs, like english setters are prone to all kinds of maladies and will probably get worse with age. I've seen this on occasion and discussed it with numerous dog people, and you might consider "cutting your losses " now and avoid worrying about the dog and your kids with a new pooch. The truth often hurts.

Yep, she was probably incoherent and...

This response submitted by marty on 8/25/06 at 9:51 AM. ( ) 24.15.97.161

...had no clue where she was at or who was around her and she was scared.

My concern is moreso with your VET! He/she should be offering you possible solutions and advice on the matter. Perhaps there's some medication that could help control her seisures? Go to another vet and get a second opinion. If there's as many quack vets out there as regular doctors, definitely get a second opinion. Call around...

similar experience

This response submitted by dave on 8/25/06 at 9:52 AM. ( ) 24.14.119.208

I had a german shorthair that developed epileptic siezures at 6 months old.Our dog was only aggressive after the first episode because it was also scared.We treated it with medication for 2 months but finally put it down because they continued.IT IS VERY SCAREY TO WITNESS and you are completely helpless.Our dog also lost sight during and shortly after episodes.I would not give up until you have tried medication(phenobarbitol).It has side effects,but many dogs do very well.good luck

Have been their.

This response submitted by Don's Taxidermy & Freeze Drying on 8/25/06 at 10:09 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.11

I have a Brittany that started with the seizures around three years of age. The first two times she had the seizures she came out of them on the aggressive side. Now when she comes out of them she is in stupid vill. It takes her about 20 minutes to remember who she is and where she is. The vet has her on Phenobarbital to try and relieve her problem. The wife has a hard time handling the seizure I sit with her and talk her through them. At this point putting her down is out of the question, when she is not having problems she is the greatest hunter and friend I have had. Vet said she could live a normal life span. Don

Sorry folks

This response submitted by D.J.H. on 8/25/06 at 10:46 AM. ( ) 216.198.104.201

but it is absolute lunacy to keep a dog that has even a remote possibility of being aggresive or hurting someone. There are millions of dogs out there that need homes. Do your fellow man a favor and get a new dog.

Scared

This response submitted by Rae on 8/25/06 at 11:33 AM. ( ) 207.200.116.137

They are scared and feel the need to react. They dont understand what is happening or what is causing it. Have you ever seen a dog bite at itself when it gets hurt? It doesnt understand WHAT caused it, just that it is in pain or is scared and confused and they want to get rid of whatever is making them feel that way... Any of you bear hunters ever shot a bear and it will spin around and snap at the wound as if trying to bite the "attacker".. Same thing..
Having a medical problem is way different than having an agressive dog that you cant trust. When the dog has a seizure place a muzzle on it if need be. Alot of times you can see signs of seizures approaching. Or some particular thing they do right before it happens can tip you off.
Our cow dog when we were kids ahd a brain injury when we got him which caused him to have seizures. As he got older he ended up dying during a seizure. It puts a terrible strain on their bodies and hearts.

Dog Seizures

This response submitted by David Patton on 8/25/06 at 12:01 PM. ( ) 71.48.194.147

First of all let me say I know what you are feeling Terri. I had a dog for 13 years that started having seizures at 3 years old. He never became aggressive, but that is only because I was always there to administer his medication and hold him. They need to be comforted and sometimes that is not enough to help them. The loss of equilibrium, convulsions, frothing at the mouth, incoherency, etc. is enough to make a dog aggressive in a protective measure. Just keep the other family members away during the episodes and watch for the trigger. I could tell, after seeing my dog go through it so many times over the years, when it was coming. I also developed a sense of what conditions would contribute to the episodes and stayed alert for them at those times. My dog eventual passed away due to the stress of the seizures. He was 13 years old and I had him for all but 7 weeks of that lifetime. He never received phenobarbitol though. Of all things, Valium in the 10 mg tablet was all he ever was prescribed. It was administered at the onset of the episode and helped to calm him. I would get him comfortable and away from the light. He did much better in a darkened room.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice

This response submitted by Terri on 8/25/06 at 1:24 PM. ( ) 63.252.231.60

Thanks for the advice and sharing about your experiences. It helps to hear from other people who have been through this and you gave me some options to ask my vet about. My vet is great, I called him last night at home while the seizure was happening and he gave me alot of info. I was just so overwhelmed at the time, I don't remember all of it. It is just helpful to hear from people who have experienced it first hand. I am going to the vet later today to talk to him about different treatment options. We have had our dog since she was 8 weeks old and when we went to pick her out she pretty much so came up to us and picked us out. She is so much a part of our family I can't imagine her not being here. She goes everywhere with us. We definetly want to exhaust all options before even thinking of having to make a choice that we don't want to make. Obviously we don't want her to hurt the kids and that is our priority but hopefully we can find a solution. I really appreciate all the input. Thanks.

pets

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 8/25/06 at 5:01 PM. ( ) 76.0.164.128

I use to raise Dobermans and sold the last of the litter to my neighbor. He let the puppy run around most of the time and never spent any time training him etc. One day the oener came running ot my house and said his dog had bitten into an electrical wire, gotten electrocuted and was laying convulsing on the ground. I went over, the power had been turned off & the wire was psuhed away. He convulsed for another minute and then came around. He seemed fine after getting his balance back on his feet but that dog was never ever the same. He was a shy, sweet pup, but he started growling and trying to bite anybody on the leg. This went on for about a week and they finally had him euthanized. I've never seen anything like that.

Return to Current Events Category Menu