Fair Chase who decides it?

Submitted by Rooster on 8/25/06 at 1:19 PM. ( ) 12.73.69.167

Just wanted to hear some of you guys opinions on fair chase and who should decide it? I recently read an article on the matter where the man did lost of research on it. let me know very interesting subject, and touchy subject to some.

Return to Current Events Category Menu

Fair chase

This response submitted by Rae on 8/25/06 at 1:51 PM. ( Rae@royaloaksranch.com ) 207.200.116.197

Fair chase to me means no fences. Open country for the deer to escape, and for you to have to HUNT to find it. Even a 300 acre area fenced in with tons of natural cover is not fair chase to me.. Since the animal is confined withen the boundary. Its just a matter of tracking it down and eventually youll find it.
Just my thoughts.

the anti-hunters best tool

This response submitted by gary on 8/25/06 at 3:27 PM. ( ) 207.155.19.191

to a low fence hunter high fence is unfair,to a bow hunter,guns are unfair,to a buckskinner,in-lines and scopes are unfair etc.,etc.
The anti-hunters love to play us against each other,but when they get rid of the ones you don't like,they'll come after you.

Fair Chase

This response submitted by Nathan on 8/25/06 at 3:42 PM. ( ) 71.232.125.78

Hey Rooster, fair chase, like beauty, is definitely in the eyes of the beholder. As a hunter, you have to be aware of the many ways that we tend to look down on each other. Those who don't like high fencing tend to lose sight of the fact that while deer can't go over them, they sure can go under them, as I have seen on several occasions, and they can do so without ever breaking stride. I would venture to say that fair chase exists where there is no assurance that a hunter will see a particular animal existing in a fenced area during the duration of a 3 to 5 day hunt. I would guess that this area would contain no less that 1000 acres, perhaps less if it contained a majority of heavy cover. There are many state forests in the east that are less than half that size, and no one there questions the authenticity of the hunting there, simply because there is no fence. It all comes down to personal ethics and opinion. If you go and shoot some 160 class buck in an enclosure, and are proud of him, who am I to judge you? If you're worried what the anti's might think, you're wasting your time, they'll always find ways to twist what you do anyway. Happy hunting.

Right on Nathan

This response submitted by Brad on 8/25/06 at 4:14 PM. ( ) 65.73.67.223

as usual !

Amen Gary and Nathan

This response submitted by George on 8/25/06 at 5:16 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.67

Whose ever idea it was should be horsewhipped. I see the Drury Brothers talking that trash on the outdoor networks and I want to stand up and scream at them. SURE they only use fair chase, in a pigs eye. As Gary said, if just trying to get over on someone else, pure and simple.

Fair Chase Is:

This response submitted by John on 8/25/06 at 5:28 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.67

not hunting where you or your guide "feeds" the prey. No I don't mean farmers and alfalfa. I mean a guy who tries to pass it off as fair chase by instruction your guide to go out start the tractor and shake the bucket to make the "wild boars" think its feeding time and lure them in. True Story!

Do you think

This response submitted by Dr.Z on 8/25/06 at 7:12 PM. ( ) 70.98.89.172

Using dogs to hunt cougar is fair chase? what about bears? how about leopards ,bongo, deer?Where is your line drawn?

I think

This response submitted by Crusty on 8/25/06 at 7:33 PM. ( ) 209.165.183.15

everyone has to decide for themselves. Everyones ideas on this are different, and there is no "correct" answer. The score keeping people decide what THEIR criteria is, and that must be met to enter the books. Cecils perch may not have met the criteria for the books, but it is a record nonetheless. You hit it Z, where is YOUR line drawn...?

fence or no fence

This response submitted by Mr.T on 8/25/06 at 7:35 PM. ( ) 68.79.167.32

On a fenced hunt, you set in a hut up on stilts with a game feeder within shooting distance, fair chase is where you hang your own stand and hunt over a your own bait pile.

If I get the moose

This response submitted by Crusty on 8/25/06 at 8:40 PM. ( ) 209.165.183.15

to come in my yard and eat the wifes petunias, and I shoot it from the bedroom door with a bow, is that fair chase?

Theodore Roosevelt first defined it.

This response submitted by George on 8/25/06 at 8:55 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.67

While hunting bears and finding none, his outfitters were so concerned that he get one that they caught one and tied it to a tree. The summoned T.R. to dispatch the beast and he refused saying that it was not noble to take any animal that had not been given a "fair" chance. Nowhere in there does it say a thing about dogs or fences that I see. You might want to say it implies "bait" but that had nothing to do with the cable around the bears neck.

BlackPowder and Iron sights .

This response submitted by Buck... on 8/25/06 at 9:16 PM. ( michael.rodgers@web.de ) 64.201.65.22

Where are all the BlackPowder 50.Kal boys at ?
Slugs,no scope, ect..it's plain and simple. and let's not forget BOW Hunting, now that's Fair, and Fair is Fair.
Never got to hunt over a bait, I look back on the hand made Decoys I made as a kid, Geez! now that's fair to say it's an even game.
I'll admit that a few ducks did die of heart failure due to laughter!
Buck...

Its never fair to the animal

This response submitted by Rooster on 8/25/06 at 10:45 PM. ( ) 12.73.69.155

If you really want to starting talking fair we have the largest margin of unfair advantage. From fences,calls, guns, bows muzzle loaders, feed, lures, mock scrapes, tree stands, ground blinds,food plots, farmer Johns corn field and dont forget the knowledge of a human being and our brains possibilities. If you really want to stand talking fair. Lets see a coyote hunts fair, a mountain lion hunts fair and we do NOT no matter what way you hunt. Any type of projectile is unfair! I hate the term fair chase! I've hunted any way and every way one could think of and enjoyed every second of it! I say set your own limits if you dont want to hunt behind a fence DONT! But dont sit back and slam the guys who enjoy it. Hunting is hunting let that be known and we need to all join together instead of fighting amongst ourselves. True we may never see hunting banned in our time, but what about our children, grandchildren or great grandchildren. Trapping has all together been banned in a few states in the north east. Well we didnt loose much you may say. Well it just let the anti's know that it is possible. Enjoy the sport however you want to hunt! Good luck to every one this Fall!

Dont argue

This response submitted by Bill @ Hog Heaven on 8/26/06 at 6:43 AM. ( ) 24.59.215.89

Or PETA will decide!

Rooster

This response submitted by Nathan on 8/26/06 at 8:45 AM. ( ) 71.232.125.78

Someone, I don't remember who, once said; "we must hang together, or surely we will all hang separately" or something along those lines. The anti's have long used a divide and conquer approach in regards to hunting, and it is time that we recognize that for what it is. I DO believe that if you kill it, you should eat it, but refuse to push my own standards down another person's throat, since I have violated my own standards with the occasional coyote or two. Simply know that we, not they, are the ones who are on the right side of this issue, and should you encounter an anti brave enough to confront you one-on-one (doubtful), you should shoot down their argument with logic rather than anger, as it will makes all look better.

Hey, Rooster

This response submitted by Dr.Z on 8/26/06 at 10:07 AM. ( ) 70.98.89.172

Who says a lion or a wolf hunt fair?Cougars have claws you know those sharp things on the end of thier toes.Despite what you may think a healthy cougar can catch and kill a deer just about any time it wants.I've found too many fresh kills in the snow that tell the story.What about wolves? 4 or 5 to 1 deep snow what's fair about that?Gimme a break.

Who is anyone here to judge

This response submitted by Pirate on 8/26/06 at 10:21 AM. ( ) 141.157.43.90

I have a nephew who is confined to a wheelchair and will never walk. We taught him how to shoot at our gun club. He really wanted to go hunting so we took him to a high fence preserve and he killed a ram. He had a huge smile on his face and he experianced something he will never forget. When its all said and done if the person that pulls the trigger is ok with where they killed an animal and how then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I make a lot of money each year off of game farms. If the naysayers are that much against it then maybe they should refuse the animals that come into their shops that come from behind a fence. If you bad mouth these hunters and then do their mounts you are a hipocrit.

Bill.. is on the Money on this..

This response submitted by Buck... on 8/26/06 at 12:11 PM. ( michael.rodgers@web.de ) 64.201.65.22

Don't be negligent in assuming PETA doesen't go on here and analyze things we say, like the above conversations to use against us.
Try not to give any advantages to them ! Think about it >before you type it.
Buck...

fair chase

This response submitted by joe on 8/26/06 at 1:25 PM. ( ) 205.188.117.67

i think every one has diffrent versions of fair chase but if you think about it.theres nothing fair about it unless they have a gun too!but i sure love vinison so happy huntin!

THIS is fair chase

This response submitted by Hogger on 8/27/06 at 5:29 AM. ( ) 72.234.131.148

The wife with her heels off and me chasing her!

Return to Current Events Category Menu