Worms in deer heads

Submitted by Dan K on 12/8/00. ( furandhide@papadocs.com ) 12.29.224.95

I know you guys and gals have seen them before. Does anybody know what the large (3/4-1 in.) white maggot looking larvae are that you find in deer nasal passages and sometimes the mouth/throat area? Why do some deer have them and others not? Do they have any effect on the edibality of the meat? I can eat a sandwich with one hand and skin a coyote with the other, BUT those things are really gross! Look like something left over from the Survivor series. Thanks, Dan K

Return to Category Menu

RE: Worms in Deer Heads

This response submitted by Roger D on 12/8/00. ( rrobinso@mpc-usa.com ) 38.158.185.92

I have also seen these, "maggots" and yes they are gross, I have only
found them in Heads from the southern and hill country areas of TX.
I haven't seen any in the pineywoods area. as far as what they are
--- LOL I have no earthly Idea.

Good question

This response submitted by Don Sherpy on 12/8/00. ( ) 199.171.212.100

Everyone I know calls them Deer Bots, and say they live in the nasal cavities of live deer. I have eaten deer that had them when they hit the ground and I am still here so I guess they dont hurt the meat. Dont know if the bots are eatable..... Hope someone can shine a light on the the little critters.

Bots they are!

This response submitted by John C on 12/8/00. ( ) 208.44.115.43

Not really sure if they live in the nasel cavity, the reason I am saying this is when I worm horses we find the same (identified by the University) same bot in the feces. I will try to find the name. I am told they will crawl out of the intestinal tract once a animal dies. Of course not all make the trip. If you have a deer use Ivemactrin to clear them out.

Bots

This response submitted by Rick on 12/8/00. ( rjones@warrensburg-mo.com ) 208.3.2.205

I read an article last year put out by the state conservation commission about those nasty things. They indicated that the eggs are laid in the nostrils by bot flies and then hatch into larvae. According to them, the meat is still safe to eat and unaffected by the larvae which are mainly concentrated in the airways of the animal. They also noted that the larvae can be irritating to the deer and you might notice a deer coughing or hacking due to this.

Now, for my story...
I took a large 10 pt. buck in this year that had a huge baseball-sized cyst on his head behind the antlers. Having past experience as a butcher, I knew what was inside this thing. I also knew that it would burst and the green fluid would not be a good sight if I wasn't careful. After what seemed like an eternity of placing paper towels over the cyst and lancing it and cleaning up green goo (in between occassional breaks to ease the nausea) I noticed movement near the nose of the deer and out came one of those nasty worms! I just about lost it! It was green and about 2" long. Worst deer I ever did! Made me think of retiring! LOL Gotta go... it's lunch time:)
...Rick

Bot-fly Larvae

This response submitted by Sherry H. on 12/8/00. ( shelmick@cfw.com ) 216.12.51.197

I have read that the larvae is laid in the nasal passage by the
adult fly in the summer. The larvae lives deep within the nasal
passage until the following spring then crawls out and developes
into an adult in the soil. A biologist told me that it was not
harmful to the deer or to people that eat the meat. I bet it is
annoying as #@!% to have something that big crawling around in
your nasal passage! The biologist also told me that after the
deer is killed the larvae just start crawling around...that's
why they end up in the throat and mouth. Sherry H.

Thanks

This response submitted by Dan K on 12/8/00. ( furandhide@papadocs.com ) 12.29.224.95

Thanks, very interesting. I've only seen them 4 or 5 times (here in Illinois), but a neighbor called and said he had a deer with about 20 or more in it. I just had to ask. Thanks again, Dan K.

maggots, green puss and other assort. goodies

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/8/00. ( ) 205.188.209.13

Those larvae are feeding in the sinus until they mature, they then migrate forward to be swallowed and sent through the system, and then "south" so to speak. There they pupate and start the process again. Does anyone else, upon having opened one of those puss sacks accidently, find it hard to imagine ever eating a custard donut from then on? Just wondering.

nice

This response submitted by ramo on 12/8/00. ( ) 206.129.0.18

I'm getting hungry just reading this thread!

P.S. I live in Kansas, and I've never seen one of these.

Yox

This response submitted by George Roof on 12/8/00. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.161

You are one sick puppy. I guess it's good I love you. LOL

Daylite donuts here we come.

This response submitted by John C on 12/8/00. ( ) 208.44.115.85

Hum where does the Bavarian Creme come from German Bit flies? or was that Crispy Creme, I forgit.

Rocks in the head!

This response submitted by Don R on 12/8/00. ( dondi_12@yahoo.com ) 206.74.206.15

Thought I would share this since we are grossing everyone out.
Last year I skinned out a nice 10 pt that had a rock under the antler
burr. As I skinned I noticed a puss pocket around the thing, that smelled
so bad I actually, for the first time, gaged! How it got there I do not know.
But the skull was actually growing around the stone. Darndest thing I
ever seen. Hope not to smell that smell ever again.

Puss pocket?

This response submitted by Ken on 12/8/00. ( darville@sowega.net ) 207.19.139.184

...just had one this week...the ole' boy looked like he had a plug of Levi
in his jaw. I skinned it out and popped the pocket and...you guessed it...
custard!...everywhere. The nastiest thing I ever saw...even more powerful
than a gut shot coyote on a rainy day!

Maggots

This response submitted by Dan R on 12/9/00. ( deerstuffer@hotmail.com ) 209.149.175.130

I shot a big ol doe last Monday and for the first time I had those dang maggots crawling out the throat when I cut the head off. Man was I grossed out. Fried the tenderlion that night and I ani't dead yet so I guess it was okay. I did call a biologist friend of mine and he said what you all have already said. No harm to the meat and not a big problem for the deer. BUT it just makes your skin crawl for a minute.

Yummy

This response submitted by Pete on 12/9/00. ( ) 152.163.188.161

Does anyone have two slices of bread, Im sure hungry.
I haven't eaten a maggot and worm hero since Army Jungle School
in Panama.LOL

J.O.T.C.

This response submitted by Marc on 12/9/00. ( CapeFearTaxidrmy@aol.com ) 205.188.208.69

Jungle Operation Training Center Ft. Sherman, Panama 1984-1988
2nd Battalion 187th Infantry(Airborne)
"Second Battalion...Second to None!"
RAKASSAN

Okay...

This response submitted by Ken on 12/10/00. ( darville@sowega.net ) 207.19.139.185

...now all my old army buddies are crawling out of the woodworks...
Funny how these things get started, eh...CSM Roof?

Cool

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/10/00. ( ) 152.163.188.65

My father was a CSM for many years. Maybe THATS why I like that ole George...

Cool

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/10/00. ( ) 152.163.188.65

My father was a CSM for many years. Maybe THATS why I like that ole George...

OH NO!

This response submitted by Yox on 12/10/00. ( ) 152.163.188.65

My computer is studdering! Sorry about that, guys.

Back to Botts

This response submitted by John C on 12/13/00. ( ) 208.44.115.100

Watch around horse and cattle naxt summer, you will see these little flies, they mosyly look like bees, yellow and black stripes on the abdomen, yet they are flies, laying eggs on the legs of mammals, the mammal then licks their legs ingesting the egg where it develops.

Now have any of ya'll seen a WOLF WORM? there cools poking their head out of the wound, once had a cow with on and a cat too, when you sqeeze the wound the worm will pop out, they tend to be from 3 to 6 inches in length.

Return to Category Menu