Hide Softening

Submitted by John on 1/1/01. ( jagradar@aol.com ) 205.188.209.138

Please help, I'm new to all of this. I stretched and fleshed my whitetail deer hide. I salted it to dry it out using salt and boraxo combo. I now want to use the hide to line a traditional bow quiver I am making but find the hide too stiff. Is there any way to soften hide keeping in mind I will need to glue the hide to the inside of quiver prior to stitching? Thanks for any help.

Return to Category Menu

you've only just begun

This response submitted by Kristoph on 1/2/01. ( skinme2@aol.com ) 205.188.209.139

What you've done so far is dried your hide, in the taxidermy trade considered preparation needed to be done prior to tanning. If you want your lining to last in your "original" quiver the hide must now be tanned. Either by yourself or a commercial tannery. Check out the tanning portion of this forum and look for a link to Bruce Rittel [sp?] he has kits for brginners to tan a single hide I believe, or you can go the commercial route and send it out to be done. Either way you need to tan your hide to make it last, once that's accomplished you'll have no trouble withg your sewing/lining task. Good Luck...Kristoph

Return to Category Menu