Controlling Shrinkage

Submitted by Daryl on 2/6/01. ( ) 166.72.90.218

I need some pointers on shrinkage around the face, especially
the eyes. The form is the proper size and there's plenty of
looseness to the skin. I use Lifetone's hidepaste and prep the
form properly. I know that air is the usual cause and I know
how to get it out with a syringe. But I'm constantly fighting
the lacrimal creases to stay put, along with some of the facial
detail. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to Category Menu

Dave Says

This response submitted by Dave Taylor on 2/6/01. ( mastertaxidermist@jam.rr.com ) 24.164.216.51

Pins and Cards---
thats your answer.

anyplace that might shrink should be pinned or carded until dry.

Good Luck
Dave

Shave thin

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 2/7/01. ( ) 155.76.224.2

Daryl,

Shave the area around the eye and tear duct really thin with your scalpel. Then there isn't as much skin to shrink away as it dries. That works for me.

shrinkage

This response submitted by John W. on 2/7/01. ( ) 216.166.196.21

Daryl,try using a skife knife , you can really get the face thin which will help with most of youre shrinkage as far as the tear ducts go, I usually have to pin them to keep them in place and usually have to do some touch up or cover up work after the mount has dried because they usually open up on me just a little bit.As far as youre eyes go you can usually control youre shrinkage there if you thin them down enough, you should see bluish skin and the hair bulbs if you have shaved thin enough.A pin in the front ,back corners of the eyes,and one in the top front portion of youre eye should help you to maintain shape until dry,hope this helps.

SHRINKAGE

This response submitted by DON W on 2/9/01. ( PATENTAX@AOL.COM ) 205.188.208.201

daryl, i use a good hide paste but i always put pins all around each eye and around the lacrymal gland! it kind of isolates those areas so that any shrinkage from other areas wont affect these areas. of course get some pin in the gland itself also!

hope it helps, don

Return to Category Menu