question on rehydrating

Submitted by limbhanger on 2/9/01. ( limbhanger2@juno.com ) 63.28.249.199

Hi ya'll. This is my first time on the forum and I'm also getting ready to mount my first few deer. I've looked up some answers in the archives but I can't find all I need. When rehydrating a commercially tanned hide can I leave it in the fridge more than just overnight or do I have to be ready to mount it the next day? I was planning on rehydrating then stretching slightly to get my measurements and then order my forms. So what do I do with the hide while I'm waiting on my forms? And also, do I have to put any oils on the hide and if so what kind? Thanks a ton for any help you can give me.

P.S. You regulars to the forum are very informative and seem to have a lot of fun with it. I've already learned a lot just by reading everyone else's Q's & A's.

Return to Category Menu

Then

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 2/10/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.165.0.85

You should know the answer. Just rehydrate it, get your measurements, then freeze the cape till your form comes in.

Becareful when you stretch the hide. Pull it more width wide not length.

You need no oils on a cape that was already commercially tanned. This process is done at the tannery.

Return to Category Menu