reattaching a cut form

Submitted by Dan on 2/7/01. ( dan_v2001@yahoo.com ) 198.111.146.141

Greeting,
I just received my elk form and it is cut. I have searched the archives and am puzzled. The big question is to Bondo or not?
What is recommended for putting the form back together?
thanks
Dan

Return to Category Menu

yes.....

This response submitted by Linda on 2/7/01. ( lcline@cheqnet.net ) 64.33.161.3

Hi Dan,
we usually start with bondo but then we install 1x2's cut into and across the seam line and bondo those in level with the surface of the form.I always want to be sure with all that weight hanging off the front.
Hope this helps.

Steel rods

This response submitted by Elmer on 2/9/01. ( Topstaxidermy@aol.com ) 64.12.96.102

Dan you can also use threded rods for extra support put the form together with bondo make some holes first in the seperation area of the form for the bondo to sink into add some glass. Once the bondo starts kicking drive the threaded rods in at an angle through both pieces 2- 4 should secure the form from breaking.

Try Clear Paste from Epo-Grip

This response submitted by George on 2/10/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.133

As has been stated, Bondo will work, but it's not an adhesive. A lot depends on you cleaning all the dust off both surfaces and allowing the nooks and crannies to hold on to the Bondo. If you use an epoxy like Clear paste, coat both surfaces completely with a THIN coat. Stick the form together and drive #6 or 8 wires down through the joint to align the form properly. When it kicks off, the joint will be actually stronger than the foam form is by itself.

Return to Category Menu