First Deer trophy

Submitted by Dave Stewart on 2/12/01. ( blackpowder@nossa.freeserve.co.uk ) 195.92.194.14

I have just recently finished mounting my first hunted Deer. On examination today I have discovered that the lips are shrinking back to far for my likeing on drying out.Can anyone one please advise me what to do about this problem, since this is my first Deer I sure would like to have him looking well. Thanks.

Return to Category Menu

Fixing your first deer

This response submitted by Marty on 2/12/01. ( ) 216.56.27.34

Hey Dave:
Don't panic or get into any type of frenzy. I think that this has happened to just about all of us at one time or another. Trust me it will be fine. Take a washcloth or rag and soak it in water. Place it on the area that needs adjustment. By rehydrating the area, you will be able to rework it to your liking. Then, pin it in place so that the mount is to your liking at completion.

Keep on tuckin"

This response submitted by CHUCK on 2/12/01. ( Chuckcnctaxi@aol.com ) 152.163.189.70

the lips-that is.Until the hide dries to its final stage ,you must at least daily (twice a day is better)check your mount to retuck any of those areas that will try to retreat.Lips ,eyelids,and noses like to creep while you're not looking.Pin those areas when they are to your liking.Welcome to our family -your first mounts are usually your worst,it only gets better from here.

Return to Category Menu