Illnesses

Submitted by Greg on 2/12/01. ( ) 63.25.113.225

Recently I've been hearing more and more concern about diseases that deer have that could be transmitted to humans. Hunters around here are warned to wear gloves when field dressing deer. I'm wondering if any of you have ever heard of someone actually contracting an illness through taxidermy work, and whether you take any special precautions to prevent this?

Return to Category Menu

Theres always the possibility

This response submitted by Chad on 2/12/01. ( w_chad@hotmail.com ) 208.31.223.11

Theres always a posibility of contracting something. Lyme disease from ticks is a real threat and even rabies from coons and fox. At any given time a certain number of the population will have some type of disease or parasite. We had a guy in the lower part of the state(West Virginia) a few years back that died for trapping and skinning a coon that had rabies. I am sure that others can give you more stories about about what they have encountered. The best precaution is to us real caution. I wont take in anything that looks as if it my be diseased. (I know that you cant tell by looking at it, But I'm not taken any chances. If it looks bad I'm not taken it in.) If they realy want it mounted I have THEM get it tested.

Hope this helps

Chad (w_chad@hotmail.com)

Wear Latex Gloves

This response submitted by Sherry Helmick on 2/13/01. ( shelmick@cfw.com ) 216.12.54.196

They are not expensive. You can purchase through supply catalogs or at local pharmacys. I wear them through every step of prep from tagging and checking an animal thru the tanning process. Sherry H.

Lyme disease

This response submitted by Brian L. on 2/13/01. ( ) 198.133.22.74

There is a Taxidermist in my home state of Vermont who contracted Lyme disease from a deer tick off of an out-of-state deer he mounted. This happened years ago, before there were any good treatments or immunizations for it. He got terribly sick and I believe that he does not do Taxidermy anymore. These days, there are treatments for it, and if you wish, there are precautionary immunizations for it. I don't know how effective they are, or if there are any risks involved. Anybody out there have more detail?

Return to Category Menu