Re bleaching of deer skull

Submitted by Jacob on 2/22/01. ( wyn_1970@hotmail.com ) 172.144.49.235

Hello all I recently (about 5 months ago)picked up my skull mount from the local taxidermist. It looked real nice however it is starting to turn yellow and there seems to be places where bone was replaced by some type of putty. My question is can I rebleach the skull to remove the yellow tint and then seal it with something to prevent this from happening again? Also, the yellow could not have come from ciggarette smoke since no one smokes in my home. Please help its a real nice 8 pointer and I dont want to damage it
Thanks
Jacob

Return to Category Menu

take it back

This response submitted by Brian on 2/24/01. ( ) 205.242.224.107

Just take it to your taxidermist and show him/her what it has done and they should take care of it for you. That is a lot better than trying to fix it yourself. At least the person that did your skull mount will know what they did to it the first time and they will be able to fix it for you. Best of luck

never

This response submitted by michael s. on 2/24/01. ( ) 205.188.208.76

never use bleach, if not neutralized it keeps on working, you can use a solution of hydrogen peroxide mixed with water to a 50-50 ratio this is better than bleach, however if you are not a taxidermist, take it back, they should fix it for you also asked how it was prepared, boiled or beetled (use of dermestid beetles) the use of beetles always produces a superior finished product...over boiling can cause some types of damage but generally when done right the finished skull will look excellent on your wall..just take it back and ask..

Return to Category Menu