Epogrip seems

Submitted by JEM on 2/16/01. ( ) 208.48.229.66

Has anyone tried using Epo grip as a seem rather than sewing? I'm talking about gluing rather than sewing the seem up the back of the neck. Heard allot of good things about the stuff, can it do this?

Return to Category Menu

nope

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 2/16/01. ( ) 205.188.209.70

In all fairness to any glue or adhesive, thats stretching it...literally! Even the stitched seam will pull a bit, just from the thickness of the leather. Face it, sewing is here to stay, as much as we hate it, lol!

Yes it has been done!

This response submitted by Steve Steinbring/Epo-Grip on 2/16/01. ( nsc@netrus.net ) 206.251.198.12

JEM,

It has been done by Ken Wampler( aka- Swampy)here on the forem. Ken glued an Eland seam together without stitching. He had a loose enough fit to the form to allow it to be done. I would think that as Bill said that there might be problems if there any significant stretch required on mounting.

I have done it on small seams

This response submitted by Dave Toms on 2/16/01. ( ) 208.178.217.34

I have used it on small seams. I used polyester resin to first make a nice firm surface on the form. I then sanded it for better adhesion. Apply regular epo grip to the form and mount as usual (leave a 1/2 inch bare on both sides of the seam) I then glued down both sides with epo grip fast set. Once that was set, I ran a very small bead of superglue right down the center of the seam. (You have to pull it apart and get the glue down in the seam, remember the sides are already glued down) and the I push both sides together and the superglue bonds it. I did pin it until everyhting else set up. Couldnot tell there was ever a seam and it hasn't moved as of yet (6 months so far). I think the combination od using the 3 different glues is what pulled it off. The epo grip does the majority while the superglue just keeps the seam from pulling apart. I forgot to mention that I did take the time to amke a very crisp seam and I shaved it well. Good Luck

Dave Toms

Return to Category Menu