Visible seam from hole repair

Submitted by JN on 2/26/01. ( ) 206.9.80.41

I just recently finished a shoulder mount that had several holes made at the tannery in the area between the brisket and the shoulder area. I repaired the holes, but there is one hole in particular that is visible from the front of the mount. The hole is in an area that is sparsely covered with white hair. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this mistake. Should I try to rehydrate and make another attempt at repairing the mistake with a smaller needle and thread or is there some way to hide this blemish.

Return to Category Menu

Brad nail it.

This response submitted by Pacemakr on 2/26/01. ( jfwagner@hereintown.net ) 209.240.220.183

I assume the front white part you're talking about is the "beard" area at the neck. You could put a wet folded cloth over the cut area, with a little Downy fabric softener in it to make it hydrate faster. Once rehydrated, stick one end of the cut with a brad nail, pull toward center of cut and tack in. Then go to other side of cut, do the same thing, on up to the other end like a baseball stitch with brads. When it dries you could either pull out the exposed brad nails, or push them all the way in.

It's in A to Z

This response submitted by LH on 2/27/01. ( ) 64.216.109.184

The method that Pacemakr describes is demonstrated by Sallie Dahmes in her Whitetails from A to Z video and it works great. I've done the same thing in short haired areas with little or no hair, but brought the edges together just to where they touch. Glue aggressively and set the hide nails just below the surface for the hide. Even if the seam dries with a tiny gap, it can be filled with sculpall or the equivalent and touched up with paint. Better to do it that way than to overlap and end up with a bump.

Return to Category Menu