Ear Problems

Submitted by Jim on 2/19/01. ( ) 204.182.225.40

I'm making my first attempt at mounting a deer using one of the WASCO mounting kits. I'm having problems with the ears. When I insert the earliners they stick out about 1 to 1.5 inches pasted the cape. They seem to fit the ear fine but appear to be too long at the base. Because of the protuding liners the cape will not close properly for sewing. I'm using a video and manual for reference but they say nothing about altering the length of the liners. Do I need to cut off the liners or have I done something else wrong? Also, the cape I'm using is purchased but the neck measurements match the mannikin size. Thanks for any help you might provide. Jim

Return to Category Menu

Did you?

This response submitted by Rob on 2/19/01. ( ) 207.51.181.155

I have never used ear liners but I know you trace the cartalage from the deers ear and then cut the liner to that size, so maybe your liner is to long. Good luck Rob

Ear butts

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 2/19/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.164.102.246

What you have is the ear butt. This is the muscle that conets to the ear to the head.

You say you bought the cape but did you measure it or did you take it for granted it was he size they said it was. If they are the same then you need to make sure it set in the right spot. You need to have more reference. It just maybe you have the ears located in the wrong spot. It hard to tell since we can't really see what going on here. Study the manuall and the video again. It would of been better if you actually skinned out a deer. This way you would be more able to see on how the ears lay. Look for a road kill this will help.

hide prep

This response submitted by JEM on 2/20/01. ( ) 208.48.229.66

I have never had to trim and earline BUTT. If the form truly fits the form (see Franks comments above) then sounds like your problem could be that you need to thin the hide in the ear butt areas and or you have hide caught between the ear liner base and the form itself. Do you have the ear base lined up correctly on the form? Have you put too much clay around the earliner?

Reply to Ear Problems

This response submitted by Jim on 2/20/01. ( ) 204.182.225.20

Thanks to all who provided responses to my ear problem. I wish I more experience so I could better explain the situation. The cape I'm using is split up the back so to measure I laid it flat and measured across the neck behind the ears. Measurement was 15" so I ordered a 6 1/2" by 15". I have prepared the cape (fleshed, split nose, eyes, lips, etc.) and the mannikin. Before I put on the hide paste I placed the cape, with earliners in place but no ear base clay, on the mannikin just to check to see if everything would line up properly. When I place the ears at the proper location on the mannikin the seam on the back likes about 2 1/2" coming together. If I pull until they touch enough to start sewing the ears are pulled around to the back of the head. It appears if I cut off the butt ends of the liners 1 to 1.5" this would provide enough room to sew up the cape. When viewing the video the butt of the earliners appear to be well within the edge of the cut in the cape. Mine stick out about 1-1.5 inches. I think the bottom line is go ahead apply the paste and mount it and see what happens. Everyone says the first mount is the worst so this one may really be a mess. Thanks again for the help. Jim

Reply to Ear Problems

This response submitted by Jim on 2/20/01. ( ) 204.182.225.20

Thanks to all who provided responses to my ear problem. I wish I more experience so I could better explain the situation. The cape I'm using is split up the back so to measure I laid it flat and measured across the neck behind the ears. Measurement was 15" so I ordered a 6 1/2" by 15". I have prepared the cape (fleshed, split nose, eyes, lips, etc.) and the mannikin. Before I put on the hide paste I placed the cape, with earliners in place but no ear base clay, on the mannikin just to check to see if everything would line up properly. When I place the ears at the proper location on the mannikin the seam on the back likes about 2 1/2" coming together. If I pull until they touch enough to start sewing the ears are pulled around to the back of the head. It appears if I cut off the butt ends of the liners 1 to 1.5" this would provide enough room to sew up the cape. When viewing the video the butt of the earliners appear to be well within the edge of the cut in the cape. Mine stick out about 1-1.5 inches. I think the bottom line is go ahead apply the paste and mount it and see what happens. Everyone says the first mount is the worst so this one may really be a mess. Thanks again for the help. Jim

Jim

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 2/20/01. ( ) 205.188.209.76

Probably have a skin with smaller ears, so the liner is a bit big, causing the liner base to stick out. Im sure that by now you trimmed that up, and have sewn up the incision.

Return to Category Menu