McKenzie hangers

Submitted by Doug on 2/27/01. ( ) 63.64.148.145

I am aware of the problem with the pre-installed plastic hangers on McKenzie deer mannikins. I got a shipment today, and they sent level-rite hanger to use instead. My question is in regards to where to screw in the level rite hangers. Assuming McKenzie has the plastic inserts centered for the weight of the mannikin, one has to either screw in the level rite ABOVE the hole McKenzie made, or BELOW that hole. I am assuming I'd screw in the level rite hanger BELOW the plastic one, but am checking for advice from others who may have done this already.
Thanks,
Doug

Return to Category Menu

problem with hangers

This response submitted by Jerry on 2/27/01. ( animalcraft30@cs.com ) 152.163.188.67

I can't answer your question but I use McKenzie forms and would like to know what the problem is with the hangers? Sounds like something I need to know. Thanks

Thery were a good idea that should have stayed home.

This response submitted by George on 2/27/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.102

I don't care what they do to or with them, they'll always be a plastic piece of junk that I'm paying for and didn't ask for. McKenzie gets 99.9% of my orders, but this is a bean counters idea gone bad. As Doug stated, they are pre-routed and inset and you can only hope they are centered correctly for the antlers I install. Secondly, they are useless if you're using a backing panel (but you still get to pay extra for it being there), and third, IT'S PLASTIC. I don't hang B&C animals on plastic NOTHING. I tell the customers to not hang them on sheet rock or thin paneling. Why would I trust a plastic fork on a mount when they never work at a picnic? When they had the light go on, what did they send us to replace them with? METAL HANGERS. Amazing. And I'm not even so gullible as to think that they're sending me that 60 cents hanger free. Come on McKenzie, go back to doing what you do best, make mannikens with full solid core backboards. Leave the hanging to us.

McKenzie preinstaled hangers

This response submitted by Ron on 2/27/01. ( ) 205.238.243.70

George, you are absoutly right about these hangers They are nothing but a pain in the ---.The way I do the backs of my mounts I can not use them .I do think they are strong enough but like you said every set of antlers is balanced different And sometimes the hanger needs to be placed differently.I called McKenzie and they said I was the only one to complain about them.I realy don't like paying for something I don't use .I also use %99.9 McKenzie forms ,But these hangers are something I wish they would discontinue.

McKenzie preinstaled hangers

This response submitted by Ron on 2/27/01. ( ) 205.238.243.70

George, you are absoutly right about these hangers They are nothing but a pain in the ---.The way I do the backs of my mounts I can not use them .I do think they are strong enough but like you said every set of antlers is balanced different And sometimes the hanger needs to be placed differently.I called McKenzie and they said I was the only one to complain about them.I realy don't like paying for something I don't use .I also use %99.9 McKenzie forms ,But these hangers are something I wish they would discontinue.

Give me a name , Ron

This response submitted by George on 2/27/01. ( ) 152.163.188.227

I emailed them and I returned Tom Powells inquiry letter about it. I sure would like to know why there weren't at least TWO complaints.

Have changed my opinion to the negative

This response submitted by marty on 2/28/01. ( ) 216.56.27.34

When I first recieved the mannikins with the hanger built in, I thought that it was pretty slick. I assumed that the weight would be near perfectly centered and the little that it was off could be adjusted with the multiple teeth on the hanger. Mounted 4 deer and didn't have a single problem. Was just starting to build confidence in the product. But then the fifth head which turned out fantastic if I do say so myself, was delivered to the customer only to get a call four days later. It had fallen off the wall and broke part of the main beam off. While at first I thought -- your problem buddy, I also realize that this guy is going to be back for future work, as he was pleased with the work, and he is an avid sportsman.Also, having read about these concerns in the forum I guess I should have suggested a different hanger. I am taking it back in for repair free of charge, and calling other customers about putting on a safety strap or different hanger.

here we go again

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 2/28/01. ( ) 205.188.209.167

Guys! What is so hard about hanging YOUR favorite hanger on the back of that form? Theres plenty of room. If those hangers are so chincy, why dont you just pop the fragile plastic out and put the hanger there? You all have been told that ALL the foam prices have gone up, and the only forms that didnt go up are new ones just getting out on the market. It really wasnt paying more for the hangers, but I guess you gotta go with what YOU feel is the cause. For what its worth, I dont really care for that type of hanger, either. They just showed me the new design, and I figure that guys will like it. The material is stronger, too. There was a problem with the material the manufacturer used for McKenzie hangers, unbeknownst to them. Theres less teeth on the new ones, too. Oh well, just thought you might like to know...

Removal

This response submitted by Marc on 2/28/01. ( CapeFearTaxidrmy@aol.com ) 152.163.189.131

I've yet to see the problem with them, thought they were a great idea also. Hell, I wanted to remove one from a form to see how well they were put there and bent my damn screwdriver, I still never got it out. Oh well, guess now someone is gonna tell me to buy better screwdrivers.

Bill, Bill, Bill

This response submitted by George on 2/28/01. ( ) 205.188.208.167

DUH, they're installed from the BACK of the board and I'm ASSUMING they have a flange to hold them there. It ain't the installation, it's those stupid plastic teeth.
And where do I install MY hanger. Even the Level Rites have to have screws going into the plastic to fit. Usually I can install another hanger because the one on the form isn't even centered with the antler location.
And just to humor an old fart, would you mind telling me where they are on those two mounts you have on the Taxidermy Net Homepage? LOL I still love you even if Hillary IS your Senator.

Hangers

This response submitted by Shane on 2/28/01. ( riverbottomstaxidermy@Yahoo.com ) 216.240.78.35

The plastic hangers on the McKenzie forms have a flange behind the wood back plate. Between the plastic and the foam there is nothing more than some type of adhesive paper. I examined one yesterday after I cut a portion out of the back to create a pedestal mount.

Georgie, Georgie

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 3/2/01. ( ) 205.188.209.37

You got me on the two heads, they were mounted on hybrids of my OTHER favorite company...Those crappy brittle hangers should break right apart for you to put another type of hanger in the spot. Ha ha ha. Seriously, I saw the new hanger, and I believe them when they told me the material story. Personally, I hang my hangers much higher up then most of the rest, so it doesnt bother me...

thanks McKenzie

This response submitted by cooper on 3/2/01. ( ) 206.68.166.230

Thanks to the people at McKenzie Taxidermy for an innovative
idea with the new hangers. I,m 6'2", 300lbs and in my testing
of the new hangers they will hold any whitetail mount. I'm
sorry I must have missed the price increase, it seemed similar
to most companies yearly increase. What I did notice is the savings
on hangers I have to purchase and the labor of finding center
and the mounting hangers. I also notice you did not charge extra
for the quality of the plywood or the cost of bringing the wood
to the edge of the form. THANK-YOU!

Cooper, That's real nice

This response submitted by Geore on 3/2/01. ( ) 152.163.188.67

But would you mind telling me what Jenny Craig has to do with this discussion? LOL I'm 6'1" and weigh 250, but I ain't doing chinups on that plastic crap for you or anyone else.

This is moot to some of you , but presenting a mount to a customer with an exposed hide stapled down is just tacky, PERIOD. I cover all my mounts with cardboard so that it covers my handiwork and my stapler ruffles. My hanger has to be outside the hide, so no matter what, I'll put my hanger on them.

I still say it's just a gimmick and a bad one. IF they didn't put it on, it's bound to save time and money on their end so maybe the form could be cheaper. We all know the fallacies of price shopping anyway.

Just for dips and grins, how about turning your favorite sofa or chair over. Can you see the staples and naugahyde? Or do they have a cheesecloth or similar dust cover blind stapled in place. So how does your sofa that you seldom if EVER turn over have the bottom covered and the prize whitetail mount you show everyone doesn't? My suggestion is that taxidermists get their own gimmick and join the real world of professionals.

old news

This response submitted by Elmer on 3/2/01. ( Topstaxidermy@aol.com ) 205.188.208.167

This is old news but the main problem with the hanger is ensuring the screw or nail is out far enough from the wall so the head will slide into the slot. I believe it is strong enoughbut just a pain to get when hung when you staple the hide on the back. The hanger does not hang far enough out I just use another hanger don,t want my customers mount dropping if he or she doesn,t get it hung on the hanger properly. So its back to the drawing board McKenzie. Oh they do send instructions with the level rite hanger they send.

HELP ME GEORGE

This response submitted by BRIAN on 3/2/01. ( ) 206.68.164.196

I have been bringing the hide to the edge of the manikin and
using two part epoxy to hold to the edge. Please let us know your
method of staple wrinkles and I believe you said cardboard?!
McKenzie is just trying to be the the company it can be. I advise
talking with them if you are have that much of a problem.

Brian, You act as if I HAVEN'T let them know.

This response submitted by George on 3/4/01. ( ) 205.188.208.167

Often and in descriptive English.

As far as your method, if it works, go for it, but what you're doing takes a ton of extra time and monitoring. I, like most other taxidermists, turn the hide over. Leather is really pliable and can be stapled easily into the backboard for which it's intended. At the brisket and the armpits, I staple the hide flat. When it starts to buckle, I cut a triangular wedge out of the hide on the BACK SIDE of the board and continue to staple. When it's dry, I take clear, clean cardboard, usually form those big neat McKenzie packing boxes, and cout out a piece that will follow the contours of the backside. I put my hanger on, and then, with drywall screws, attach the cardboard, affix my logo decal, and hang it on the wall.

Sounds like a lot of work...

This response submitted by Craig on 3/5/01. ( u know the address ) 24.93.8.65

for something u or your customer are going to see only when u initially hang the mount, George. You gotta be charging extra for that "hillbilly pedestal look". Maybe McKenzie should charge u extra for the boxes,LOL. By the way, how do u attach the cardboard,with epoxy or staples?

woops, I read right over it.

This response submitted by Craig on 3/5/01. ( ) 24.93.8.65

Drywall screws.

Return to Category Menu