Deer shine

Submitted by cory on 2/20/01. ( ) 38.27.231.44

Alot of the real good taxidermists' deer I see shine. The hair
is just shimering. What I was wondering was what they used
on the hide to condition it that makes it glimmer so? Also was
this product added to their tumbler or if it was simply sprayed on?

Return to Category Menu

there;s probably something you can.........

This response submitted by Kristoph on 2/20/01. ( skinme2@aol.com ) 64.12.96.107

spray or wipe on to achieve shine but I'm not familiar with it. My deer and gameheads shine because 1.] they're clean and 2.] I tumble them with a mothproofing agent called *Protec, which also shines the hair. There are others that do teh same thing, one that comes to mind is *Mount Brite, available in most supply catologs. Best of luck to you....Oh, my last tumbling is done after the cape has been rehydrated and final trimmed, right before I mount.

there are products made for show animals

This response submitted by John C on 2/20/01. ( ) 208.44.115.23

These are made for animal hair, I use a product for deer that I use on horses. Show sheen and show shine, made by Absobine company. Check your local feed store or CO-OP.

It might be...

This response submitted by George on 2/20/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.36

a good tanned hide. If you have DP deer beside a tanned hide, the tanned hide does glisten because the oils that have been re-added to the cape during the process.

Shine

This response submitted by Marc on 2/20/01. ( CapeFearTaxidrmy@aol.com ) 205.188.208.136

I'm with the old dude on this one! Can't beat a properly tanned cape for the luster and shine. I also use a product called Hair Sheen by Knoblochs, McKenzie's sells it and I use it on competition as well as commercial deer. It can be added to the drum or directly applied to the hair after the mounting process. It gives very good results, but BEWARE a little goes a long way. So, don't over do it. Marc

you want shine ?

This response submitted by WW on 2/21/01. ( ) 205.188.209.9

Just use hair spray, works wonders leaves mount sleak and shinny!

Thanks

This response submitted by cory on 2/21/01. ( ) 38.27.231.198

Thanks guys I've been using some regular shine stuff designed for peoples' hair. But I'll give that hair sheen and Show sheen atry

sleek shine

This response submitted by randy on 2/22/01. ( ) 205.188.208.236

protex mount care thru WASCO. wipe on, let set a day, comb out. great stuff and simple.

Jim L

This response submitted by Shine on 2/23/01. ( ) 165.121.232.4

Spray some Krylon Clear Acrylic spray on a paper towel and wipe the mount. Adds shine and makes those little stick up hairs lay down.

Return to Category Menu