New way for an old job?

Submitted by Doug on 2/28/01. ( ) 63.64.149.161

Roughing up a form is NOT an enjoyable part of taxidermy for me. I know it must be done, but it's drudgery. I've sanded, stout ruffed, sprayed on mannikin prep,and torched mannikins to get the hide paste to hold. I gave up the torching because of the toxic fumes. I just did a form, and it took me 35 minutes ans 17 seconds to get it roughed up(slim ruffer & sand paper). I was just wondering...are there any other faster (AND effective) ways that you can recommend for getting this job done?
Thanks....eh?
Doug

Return to Category Menu

Not My Idea

This response submitted by George on 2/28/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.166

But a guy at the Florida show last year told me he'd bought the cheapest sandblast gun that Sears sells and with shop air and coarse medium, it took him all of about 15 seconds to lightle blast the candy coating of his manniken without losing detail.

Dave Says

This response submitted by Dave Taylor on 2/28/01. ( mastertaxidermist@jam.rr.com ) 24.164.216.51

Yep, just use a better hide paste. I find that to be much faster than
over-prepping a form to accomodate an inferior product.

I have a form ruffer, and it takes me about 3 minutes to do a shoulder form. ---it isn't necessary to remove the entire outer coating of the form, just ruff the hell out of the detail lines, and give a quick ruffing to the rest of the form---when I'm done it looks scratched all over-----and that is good enough.

Next use a good epoxy like epo grip or killer glue, and you will have no drumming.
If you prefer a water based adhesive, then use siliconized acrylic latex caulk--just spend 5 minutes on the ruffing instead of 3.

Good luck
Dave

I am with Dave on this one.

This response submitted by Todd B on 2/28/01. ( trigger@indy.net ) 209.183.71.236

I also use the form rougher and it takes me a very short time to do a form.
I used to sand and spray on the mannikin prep and wipe down with laquer thinner.
But not any more.

Todd B

dave

This response submitted by jerry on 2/28/01. ( ) 205.188.209.41

it's been about 3 months sense you've gotten epo how is it working
on your older mounts

wire brush

This response submitted by Marc R on 2/28/01. ( CapeFearTaxidrmy@aol.com ) 152.163.189.70

Walmart sells wire brushes for drills (bristles inline with drill)some suppliers carry them also. Get a 1" wooden dowel or piece of broom handle about 4-6 inches long,drill a hole in it to accomodate the bit side of the brush and hot glue or epoxy in hole. I used to use a stoutruffer and sandpaper, but find this much faster and I think it does a better job. Like everyone else said, use a good adhesive, and glad to hear your not trying to kill yourself with those fumes anymore. Marc R

Hey Bill,

This response submitted by Craig on 3/4/01. ( ctracker@rochester.rr.com ) 24.93.8.65

How do you rough up your forms...still letting the the Good Lord help you out? Storing them outside in the sun that is.

Return to Category Menu