Submitted by Eric on 2/28/01. ( shinky@ameritech.net ) 209.18.22.65

I'm having trouble splitting the nose and eyelids. I checked the archives
but my questions are not in there. First the nose, how thin do I have to
shave it, I got all the meat off, and the short hair right behind the
nose pad came off. Also how do I get the cartilage away from the thin
skin from the nose. I make holes everytime I do it. Now the eyelids,
everything I read or watch says that you have to get the litte fat deposits
at the end of the eyelashes. I can't find them, are they right on the
edge of the lids, or in front or behind.
Thanks for your help, Eric

Return to Category Menu

Taxidermist secret

This response submitted by John C on 2/28/01. ( ) 208.44.115.33

Practice, practice, pracitce. 3/32 of a inch for those fatty eyelids. all meat and at lest half the depth of the skin must come off. I use a scalpel for most of it. Keep trying the rest of us did it this way too.

Baseball bat!

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 2/28/01. ( ) 204.73.44.89

Eric,

I use a wooden baseball bat under the skin when I flesh the eyes and nose pad. Wood bats can be hard to come by these days when everyone is using aluminum. I use the thick end and put the handle on the floor. I put the nose pad over the big end of the bat and use a scalpel to shave away the meat. I hardly ever make a hole, but you need to be careful.

Good Luck!

Bruce

Salt helps

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 2/28/01. ( finazducks@aol.com ) 64.12.97.10

Try this: Flesh the face first and split your lips and eyes, but don't worry about fleshing them too much. Than salt the nose area and lips ,while you are fleshing the rest of the cape and turning the ears. I find by doing this the flesh gets a little tougher and less slimmy. The meat hardens a little and shaves off alot easier. But the other advice is best. Practice a lot and less holes will appear.To avoid losing whiskers. score the area between whiskers kind of like tic tac toe. If you cut the whisker butts they will fall out,just like a birds tail feathers
hope this helps Tony
Tony

Get it thin

This response submitted by Leanna on 3/1/01. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 209.98.65.69

Use a scalpel and your finger as a fleshing beam and you can "feel" how thin to go. You will get really good at this once the scar tissue on your finger hardens up enough that it won't cut anymore! Seriously, I've tried the fleshing horn, but like the control and "feel" I get when I use my finger as the beam.

use your fingernail as a guide

This response submitted by JEM on 3/1/01. ( ) 208.48.229.66

For the eye lids, line up the lid edge under your fingernail, using a scalpul flesh down as if you are gonna cut along the inside of your nail line (where the nail meets the finger). This works good for me because without beable to see where my nail and finger meet, my brain already knows this. The fact that the eye lid is there tells me I am in the right area. Go real slow at first and you will develope a feel for it in now time. You will see the fatty pockets as they appear as tiny little grubs, just open them up don't cut through them. Hope this helps. Remember practice makes perfect and a needle and thread makes a great friend.

scissors

This response submitted by Bruce H on 3/1/01. ( ) 209.201.41.193

Try a good sharp pair of scissors for thinning!

Splitting nostrils and eyes

This response submitted by Eric on 3/1/01. ( shinky@ameritech.net ) 209.18.22.62

Thanks for responding to my question. It helps. I understand that I am
going to have to have alot of practice. I enjoy doing it, I just wish
I would have taken it up years ago. Thanks again, Eric

Skin through the mouth first

This response submitted by Scott on 3/2/01. ( slambley@esu15.org ) 204.234.184.143

Had the same trouble before I started skinning the deer from the mouth backwards 'til almost the eyes.
Grab the nose in one hand and pull up. Using a scalpel very carefully skin down each side of the nostrils.
You'll make a few holes and it'll take about 30 minutes longer to initially skin out the head but it saves
tons of headaches later when you are shaving the nostril and nose pad
down. Doesn't work real well on buffalo but was fine on elk on down.

Hope it helps. . . .Scott

Return to Category Menu