Ticks?

Submitted by Jeff C on 3/2/01. ( jc2@nycap.rr.com ) 24.29.89.165

I've got a customers cape that must have thousands off ticks on it. Its been salted twice,dryed,and is now in a saftee acid pickle with a ph of 1.2. My question is will the pickle kill these ticks or are they just dormint? Dont want them to come back to life and have my shop tick infested.
Thanks
Jeff C

Return to Category Menu

They're dormant

This response submitted by George on 3/2/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.136

and will stay that way forever. No air, no blood, no way.

Man, I'm glad I don't have to deal with ticks!

This response submitted by marty on 3/2/01. ( ) 24.181.196.143

they give me "the willies". All I have to worry about is getting rid of smelly fish hands after skinning/fleshing all day! Which brings up an idea for a post!

Smelly Fish hands

This response submitted by Pete on 3/3/01. ( tebtax ) 205.188.209.136

Marty,when I do fish and have the same problem.
I wash my hands in luke warm water and some Ajax antibacterial dishwashing liquid,1 capful of concentrated lemon juice and 1tsp of Arm& Hammer Baking soda,Scrub your hands good rinse and the smell is gone.

freeze them

This response submitted by limbhanger on 3/3/01. ( ) 205.188.209.136

One way to kill ticks is to freeze them for a while. I have taken capes out of the freezer after just two days and had'em crawling around everywhere, but at least 4 or 5 days in the freezer will take care of them. Here in the south we have a bug that we call keds. They look similar to a tick but they come in much larger numbers. I have seen deer with thousands of these keds on them. As for the pickle your ticks are now in, I would guess that if nothing else they would drown shortly. Good luck.

I just mounted one similar

This response submitted by CHUCK on 3/6/01. ( Chuckcnctaxi@aol.com ) 152.163.189.100

By any chance did it come from Missouri ? I must have pulled off at least 100 ticks while the customer was here deciding which pose to use. Another 100 after freezing it for a month ,another 30-40 after the pickle (3 weeks) and another 10 after the tanning process. In fact he must have been one itchy deer because there were a few spots where he must have rubbed to relieve himself. The brisket hairs were worn off right in the middle of the patch.

N.Y.

This response submitted by Jeff C on 3/8/01. ( ) 24.29.88.169

It came from upstate New York. This cape is just like you discribed, very little hair in the brisket area. This deer was lucky to be shot. I know if i had this many ticks on me i would be trying to find someone to shoot me!
Jeff C

Return to Category Menu