Big ear notch

Submitted by Doug on 3/3/01. ( ) 63.64.148.26

I bought a cape that had one big notch (1/2" wide and 1" long) on the outside edge of one ear.(Cape was advertised as "perfect.") I did my homework in the archives, and B.Y. suggested opening it all the way out, fitting in a trimmed earliner, and using 5 minute epoxy to glue the notch skin to the earliner. That post was 2 1/2 years ago. Just checking to see if any revisions are in order before I have at it.
Thanks,
Doug
PS. Anyone know of a cape vendor whose capes ARE as advertised? This one was advertised as 24".....turned out to be 19".

Return to Category Menu

perfect

This response submitted by Jeff on 3/3/01. ( droptine_taxidermy@hotmail.com ) 161.184.40.225

Doug,
That will work just fine. I just finished a similiar one with a big V and I just trimmed the liner to fit perfect and glued it in. Use a product like magic smooth or epo-grip(I haven't tried this one yet). And I'm sure you will be pleased with your results. Just be careful splitting to the edge of the V.
Good Luck,
Jeff

Doug

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 3/3/01. ( ) 205.188.209.42

Thanks for trying the archives, I hope it worked for you. Yes, two years later its still good advice. Ive been doing this for many years, and have used many adhesives. I get a customer now and then who mentions that an old mount popped a split ear repair, so I dont use super glues or thier equivalent anymore, regardless of what others have luck with. Id say EpoGrip is going to be tough to beat...thats what Im using still.

Return to Category Menu