quick skull cleaning question thank you

Submitted by Gary Davis on 3/12/01. ( garypercy@aol.com ) 205.188.209.46

I am about to boil some skulls i found this year while shed hunting. I need to know a good method for covering the antlers when i boil them. After i get most of the flesh off I was told to boil them in a peroxide-water solution. I don't want the antlers to get white. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Return to Category Menu

Sal Soda

This response submitted by Taylor on 3/14/01. ( Firewater372@aol.com ) 207.175.91.53

Gary,

I boil all of my skulls in Sal Soda from WASCO. I rig a coat hanger to hold the antler bases out of the water and use a paint brush to keep the top of the skull wet while boiling. I believe it will come with instructions. If not, here is what I do.

Mix 1 cup Sal Soda per gallon of water in a large pot(do not plan on using this pot for anything else but skulls in the future, the solution will stain the pot, my wife is still pissed about my choice of pots to use) Bring the solution to a boil and put the skull in. Use the coat hanger to keep the antler bases out. Boil for about 15 minutes and use a pair of pliers to pull the flesh off as it softens. This will speed the process. You should be done in no more than 30 minutes. If you want, you can then set them in the sun for a couple of days to whiten them up.

You mentioned that they were skulls. If the brain is still in them, here is a trick. Wrap a peice of wire around an old drill bit and leave a couple of inches hanging off the end. Attach to a drill and stick it in the foremen magnum(fancy word for the hole in the back of the skull that the spinal cord runs into) and blend to puree.

If you have any questions, send me an email.

Peroxide

This response submitted by Kevin on 3/27/01. ( ) 63.113.84.3

Hey bud, What we do with all of our European mounts is boil in just plain old water enough to get the flesh off, then just soak the skull in about a 70% peroxide solution for few days. Mine always turn a nice white.

Return to Category Menu