deer antlers

Submitted by chris on 3/5/01. ( ) 208.240.251.218

ive got 6 or 7 sets of deer antlers iam going to be mounting on a plaque the antlers have been sitting around since nov. with the hair on. there all dried out and hard just wondering how to softing the hair so i can cut the hair away for the skull.is there an easy way to remove the hair.

Return to Category Menu

Water

This response submitted by joe j on 3/5/01. ( ) 207.41.16.3

Soak them in water overnight and see if they loosen up. If not resoak and try again until you can safey remove the hair with a knife and screwdriver. I learned the hard way and tried to get the dried hide off with a big knife and it cost me a trip to the ER and eight stiches. I'm sure some of those chemicals sold by supply companies will also work but you might save some money and try the water first.

Air chisel

This response submitted by David Marqua on 3/5/01. ( ) 12.35.97.235

Joe is very correct about the water. Soak the antlers overnight. By the next day the hair will peel off the skull with a screwdriver. However using a knife to cut still can be a pain. If you have air in your shop or hat home go to the nearest hardware store and buy a $15.00 air chisil. Works great and will peel the remaining hide off in just a matter of a few minutes. You may have to make one cut towards the antler burrs but the chisel will replace the screwdriver. Just use a little extra caution around the pedicals of the anter!

Hot Water

This response submitted by Jim on 3/5/01. ( ) 204.182.225.11

I recently removed the hair and hide from 5 sets of deer antlers. All were 3 to 5 years old. Very hard and dried out. I simply put them in water on the stove, brought the water to just below a boil and removed them in about an hour. The hide pealed off easily with a screwdriver and knife. Letting them boil probably would speed up the process but I was afraid the skull plate might separate since they were old. Hope this helps.

Return to Category Menu