Use of "bag" when mounting?

Submitted by Ken on 3/6/01. ( kfi@humboldt1.com ) 216.100.38.57

Can someone point me in the right direction to learn this technique? I know its probably been talked about but I just read it for the first time. Am I right in assuming it helps with using the Y incision technique where the skin in not cut all the way down the back. Boy would this help me. Thanks in advance, Ken.

Return to Category Menu

Sure I'll lend a hand!

This response submitted by David Marqua on 3/6/01. ( ) 12.29.19.202

Ken the method is quite simple. Once you have the form preped for mounting, by this I mean the form scratched, just slipping the cape over it can sometimes be difficult. Just take a small garbage bag and place it over the form with the nose of the form in one corner. Then slip the cape onto the form as if the bag wasn't even there. The bag serves the same purpose of a lubricant. Once you have the cape on the position you want it to continue just pull the bag off of the form from the nose end. Presto you cape is on your form with little effort!

Mr. Bag speaks

This response submitted by Doug on 3/6/01. ( ) 63.64.148.169

Ken,
It's as easy as falling off of the dock. Take a big plastic trash can(leaf size) bag and put it over the mannikin prior to mounting. Then slide the prepped cape on the mannikin. The cape will slide over the slick plastic without friction. When the cape is in place, cut the bag where you can reach it through the mouth and at the top of the head. Then YANK the bag out from under the cape by pulling from the back and bottom. Then get youself a long handled brush, lift the cape, and apply the hide paste from above, below, in front, and behind. The purpose of the bag is to make it easy to get the cape on the form, and to move it around without causing a hernia or two. Been there did that...eh?
Good luck Ken,
Doug

Good Question

This response submitted by Jim Bianchi on 3/7/01. ( Jim_Bianchi@cguusa.com ) 63.89.65.110

Ken: Glad you asked that question b/c I could'nt find it in search yesterday.

Just a couple follow up questions for Doug and David. I always assumed that the bag slips down WITH the cape as you pull it (hense I figured you would need to cut a hole in the bag near the nose so that it allows the bag to slip down with the hide). But it sounds like the bag stays in place and actually helps the hide slip over with the bag not moving. Is that right?

Also, do any of you guys ever apply hide paste first and then put the bag over the form? It just seems like if the hide was that tight to begin with, I would think it would be hard to get my hands under the cape to properly cover the form with enough paste. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks a bunch.

Taxidermy Today

This response submitted by MW on 3/7/01. ( ) 208.247.107.171

In the current issue of Taxidermy Today, Mike Gillis says that the scratched form need to be sealed with Mannikin prep before you use any latex paste. I use Buckeye and I know it's popular. So, I gues you guys that use latex paste with the bag method, skip that step of sealing it?

Cut and paste

This response submitted by Doug on 3/7/01. ( ) 63.64.148.124

Jim,
The bag stays put as the cape is taxied onto the mannikin. I't sole purpose is to reduce the friction. I use a ruffer to rough up the mannikin. This + some sanding removes the slick waxy coating on the mannikin, and uncovers the porous foam. Without a bag, the cape's porous skin gets sucked onto the porous foam by the zillions of little pockets on the roughed up surface, and the resulting friction makes moving the cape very, very difficult. The bag keeps it's slick surface next to the cape skin, and the cape slides on easily. Once on, you can taxi the skin so it is positioned for pasting.
I never had any problem pasting after removing the bag. I use a brush(looks like an artists brush) that has a handle about 15" long...heavy too. I lift the cape around the back and bottom, and jam the paste up onto the indentations. I also apply it from the mouth(can cover the entire face and throat) and from the Y incision. If you apply paste all over the form, put on the bag, and then put on the cape, you are going to have a mighty big mess trying to remove a bag that is covered with paste on the mannikin side of it. I DO use Buckeye Supreme hide paste with this procedure. I'm not about to question Mike Gillis, whom I have tremendous respect for. I don't use mannikin prep though, and when the Buckeye cures the cape doesn't move. This works well for me.
Good luck....eh?
Doug

test fit first

This response submitted by lloyd on 3/7/01. ( lloyds62@aol.com ) 152.163.189.137

Test your skin before you do any work to the form.It slides on and off easy then.If everything looks good then I prep my form-apply hide paste and slip on the skin and go.Hope this helps.Have a great day-Lloyd Beere-P.S Never use a form too big.If anything go a little smaller so you have a litte loose skin to work with.If your skin is tight to begin with you won,t be whistling a tune while you work.Good luck

Return to Category Menu