Lips pulling out!

Submitted by Robert on 3/18/01. ( rjmrcain@msn.com ) 63.17.176.48

This beginner needs your input, I have mounted a nice W/T buck and the mount looks ok other then the lower lips. I did not keep an eye on this area as I should have and now I must pay the piper! They pulled out! Is it possible to rehrydrate this area with soaked rags and retuck or inject this aea with something to loosen the hide paste and soften the lips! Need input badly! Thanks Bob

Return to Category Menu

lips

This response submitted by mike d on 3/18/01. ( the_taxidermist@yahoo.com ) 208.46.229.118

Bob-
What did you use for glue?
If it was one of the epxies,then what you see is what you get!
There is no changing them!
If you used a one part hide paste then you can wet the area
( wrap with a damp cloth,injecting is also OK ), wrap with a
wet towel and plastic and let set over night.
That should let you re-tuck; one of the biggest causes of this
is not thinning the lip area enough.
The thinner you can get the area, the less shrinkage you will
have; and that is what causes the lips to pull out.
If you have them well thinned, but the fit is still tight, then
pin the edges every 1/4" around the mouth.

Go for it

This response submitted by Chris B. on 3/18/01. ( chrisbos@bayou.com ) 209.209.204.11

It doesn't matter if it was an epoxy. You tucked the lips to start with, so the epoxy either isn't there or didn't do its job. Rehydrate,cover the entire area with epoxy, including the slot, use plenty and retuck.

Agrre no glue in the lip slot!

This response submitted by John C on 3/18/01. ( ) 208.44.115.33

Every part of the form must have glue, lips, nose, tear ducts, etc, dextrine will work but you have to use it and not be sparingly with it.

thanks

This response submitted by Robert on 3/18/01. ( rjmrcain@msn.com ) 63.25.200.250

Thanks for the imput, by the way I used hide glue, I'll try to soak the area and retuck. Again thanks for the suggestions. Bob

Return to Category Menu