Problem with Eye Clay

Submitted by Gaylon on 3/27/01. ( ) 209.240.221.103

I set some eyes using Dakota Eye Clay. Wasn't very long till it was cracked and brittle. Did I use the wrong type of clay or did I do something wrong? And what should I do now? Thank You.

Return to Category Menu

Eye Clay

This response submitted by Chris on 3/28/01. ( ) 64.12.96.237

Did you set the eyes and let them dry before mounting? You need to
put the clay on right before mounting and then tuck the eyes under
the soft clay, now you can add eye expression. Dont let it dry
before you mount.

Critter Clay

This response submitted by Jim Bianchi on 3/28/01. ( ) 63.89.65.110

Most of the guys reccommend Critter Clay for the eye work. Maybe the Dakota Clay is best saved for the ear butt work which requires less detail. I've used "Dakota Creative Clay" in the first few mounts I just completed- I hope those will stay OK. So far, so good.

Not sure where you are at but

This response submitted by Leanna on 3/28/01. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 209.98.65.67

I'm assuming you havn't yet put your hide on the mannikin? If so, just rehydrate your clay. Lay a damp rag on the eyes and cover with some plastic. While mounting keep your clay moist by using a spray bottle of water, and give it a blast now and then. Critter Clay is a good choice of clay, not much shrinkage.

If it's already mounted, you can pretty much do the same thing.

This response submitted by Gaylon on 3/28/01. ( ) 205.171.66.165

I'm using Synchron eyes so I set them and let the clay dry. I guess I should have put the cape on right after I set the eyes, when the clay was still soft. Thanks for the help.

This Works Great

This response submitted by Big Mike on 3/29/01. ( ) 152.50.0.194

I use (Roma Plastina)SP clay from WASCO its oil base. I set my eyes one nite or one week ahead of time and go head and mount my deer it does not get real hard so if i want to move it i can but if i bump it it does not move and when the deer is mounted the oil will keep around the eye soft and will not crack it really works great.

Good Luck

Hoo-ray!

This response submitted by Doug on 3/30/01. ( ) 63.64.149.24

Big Mike,
I thought I was the only deer man in the USA that used oil based clay for eye work. Nice to know there is a brother out there...eh?
Doug

Works the BEST

This response submitted by Big Mike on 3/31/01. ( ) 152.163.189.104

Doug, I was raised on oil base clay it's all I know.

problem solved

This response submitted by dv on 4/8/01. ( ) 206.157.173.46

I don't work for Rinehart taxidermy. but they have manakins with the pre-set eyes i have not been doing taxidermy long but i don't think the other eyes even compare i know this is just my opinion. but try them i think you would like them

Return to Category Menu