About to sniff acetone!

Submitted by Rick on 3/29/01. ( rjones@warrensburg-mo.com ) 216.74.196.2

I pooped a little too close to the nest this past season! Got in a hurry and did not turn all my deer ears as I skinned the heads out. Put 'em in the freezer. The first couple dozen went fine, but started to become more difficult with each mount. I have always been pretty proud of my ear turning and could do them very quickly without any problems, but man... this taxidermy stuff is becoming very unpleasant now! The capes that have been in the freezer awhile are not cooperating! I'm tearing and blowing out ears left and right. Tore a complete 1"x2" piece out last night. Actually starting to look like strainers! They really don't appear to be freezer burned, as I roll them with the ears and face inside, but boy that ear skin is sure adhered to the cartilage and is soooo tender now? Any suggestions? Has anyone ever tried injecting them with alcohol? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds! The acetone is looking pretty good lately! :)

Return to Category Menu

Rittel's Super Reaxler and water.

This response submitted by John C on 3/29/01. ( ) 208.44.115.64

Yea Buddy, sure does agrivate you dont it? Try the stuff I did and it works very well.

Thanks... I'll give it a try

This response submitted by RickJ on 3/29/01. ( ) 216.74.196.2

Thanks John, I'll try it. If it works, I owe you! How much do you mix and how do you apply it? Do you soak or inject it? Thanks ...RickJ

Try it 1:100 parts!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/29/01. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

Our US-609 Ultra-Soft Relaxer is an excellent rewetting product. A lot of our customers have been telling us its great for freezer burned areas, and especially on birds. Normally its used 1 part US-609 to 200 parts water, but for this application, I'd recommend using it 1 part US-609 to 100 parts water. As an example, I'd use 4 tablespoonfuls to every 1 gallon of water. Dont add salt or a bacteriacide! If you soak - soak it until it loosens up (usually 2-4 hours). As an injection, simply use the 1:100 mix.

Thanks Bruce

This response submitted by RickJ on 3/30/01. ( ) 216.74.196.2

I'll see what happens.

Return to Category Menu