Should I or Should I not?

Submitted by Richard on 08/02/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.202

I was wanting some expertise advice here, I have watched Sallie's video A toZ, I have read many books,I read almost all the postings here and think I have enough knowledge now to do my first whitetail mount, Does anyone think that a course in mounting gamheads be my best option? or should I give it a try first before I consider taking a course of this sort? I have AIT in mind but dont think I will be able to attend due to work scheduling.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Go for It

This response submitted by Terri on 08/02/2002. ( thaken@chartermi.net ) 66.188.52.180

Richard,

If you have watched the video, read books and studied some of the postings here I would say go for it. If you run into a snag you can always ask questions on the forum and normally some answers quickly. Or you can e-mail me, I'll help if I can.

You have the basic knowledge now you just need some hands on training. A course is just going to show you what you have watched on the video.

I wouldn't start with the mounting of someone's trophy. You can always pick up a cape and set of antlers to practice on.

Good luck and e-mail me if you need help.

Terri

Mount a few first

This response submitted by Bill K. on 08/02/2002. ( klager@nvc.net ) 64.68.174.203

Then take the course. You can't imagine all the questions that are going to pop up that they didn't cover in the videos. After you do a bunch, a course will help answer all those questions you didn't know you even had before. Get a couple under your belt first and you will get much more for your money.
Good luck Bill K.

Attending School

This response submitted by Tony on 08/02/2002. ( ) 152.163.188.35

Richard, I did attend the AIT and they teach a good basic course. If this is what your looking for, go for it. But keep in mind that it is a basic course, and there are many different ways / techniques in mounting a deer. Good Luck.

Deer head mount

This response submitted by Arthur on 08/03/2002. ( ) 142.165.211.64

......I say go for it.

Yeah

This response submitted by Brian on 08/13/2002. ( ) 198.81.26.78

Go to school i did.....

Do It

This response submitted by Steve on 08/15/2002. ( ) 152.163.188.35

I purchased Sallie's video 12 years ago and mounted my first whitetail following her instructions exactly. I have since been a professional taxidermist here in PA. for 11 years now. I've changed some of my methods over the years but the basics are the same.
Just don't get to discouraged at your first attempt. Keep at it.
Good luck!

Never know til you try.....

This response submitted by Sturgeon's Taxidermy on 08/19/2002. ( ------- ) 66.38.0.15

I havent seen the video so i cant say much about that but if your
interested in it go to one of your local taxidermist and see if
he or she will give you some hands on training thats what i done.

good luck..

Never know til you try.....

This response submitted by Sturgeon's Taxidermy on 08/19/2002. ( ------- ) 66.38.0.15

I havent seen the video so i cant say much about that but if your
interested in it go to one of your local taxidermist and see if
he or she will give you some hands on training thats what i done.

good luck..

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu