removing cartilage?

Submitted by ducksplus on 08/05/2002. ( ducksplus@hotmail.com ) 66.76.115.57

Before everyone starts, I have searched the arcives and read tons about this but I still havent found the instructions im looking for. How do I remove the ear cartilage? It seem like a difficult thing to do. I have been using the bondo ear meathod but am having bad luck with drumming. Please help!

dp

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Hi Ducksplus

This response submitted by Mike R on 08/06/2002. ( ) 65.173.149.39

Type in "Ears jj" on the search. I think you will find what youre looking for! Later

Ear Cartilage

This response submitted by TL on 08/06/2002. ( harleycrystal@hotmail.com ) 206.74.126.33

Duck, I too use the bondo ear method but never experienced drumming. Your probelm is that the skin and catilage is still wet/damp. Bondo will not nor can not stick to anything wet or damp, it will pull away. Dry the inside of the ear both side well then brush on lacquer thinner to draw out you excess moisture and get the skin good and dry then dust with borax. Then you won't have anymore problems with the bondo pulling away and not sticking. Also do not over work the ear after it starts to get warm and kick off. It is still brittle then and will pull away. Leave it alone after it kicks off for a few minutes to get really hard before you proceed with your mounting. Hope this helps you.

are you using dry preservative or tanning

This response submitted by dwl on 08/06/2002. ( ) 168.178.126.130

this is the method I use for bondo ears of a tanned cape. 1- make sure ears are turned all the way. 2- use a razor blade and slightly cut into ear cartilage start at top of ear and make them width way across ear all the way down approx. 1" apart. 3- then use a towel with acetone on it and wipe down skin on ear to remove any oils that might be there. 4- then use a wire brush and rough up skin on ear. 5- then turn ear riht side out and put bondo in should take care of drumming problem. if using dry preservative blow any excess off with compressed air and treat same way, good luck.

Removing Ear Cartlidge

This response submitted by Tony on 08/06/2002. ( ihntdeer@aol.com ) 160.127.130.242

Ducksplus, if you have a copy of McKenzie's catalog #26, there are photographs of a step by step process on how to do this. Good Luck, you'll find out that is easier than you think.

leave it

This response submitted by mm on 08/06/2002. ( ) 198.31.179.93

If you want to leave the ear cartilage in just use McKenzie's cartilage liner ear liners and McKenzie's 2 part cartilage liner ear adhesive. Works great no drumming and you get a very thin professional looking ear.

No Drumming

This response submitted by Sturgeon's Taxidermy on 08/19/2002. ( - ) 66.38.0.15

I used McKenzie Celastic Earliners on a mount i recently
done and i left the cartilage in. I just put Caulk Adhesive
in them and it worked for me.

No Drumming

This response submitted by Sturgeon's Taxidermy on 08/19/2002. ( - ) 66.38.0.15

I used McKenzie Celastic Earliners on a mount i recently
done and i left the cartilage in. I just put Caulk Adhesive
in them and it worked for me.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu