wet tan

Submitted by tim on 08/16/2002. ( tjfielden2@cs.com ) 205.188.208.108

got a simple question about wet tanned deer capes. is it ok to take one out of the freezer and thaw it out in a salt water solution? just wandering if it will hurt the tan in any way.
ive been thawing them out in about a gallon of water and about a 1/4 pound of salt. when thawed i let hang for about 20 minutes to drain off some and then put in an old dryer with some towels, put it on fluff which has no heat for about 20 minutes then take out and proceed to mount. is this ok?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Wet tan

This response submitted by Bill Haynes on 08/16/2002. ( ) 216.130.156.53

I don't think you need salt in your water to wet a wet tanned cape.
Plain water, with a cap of Kemal 4 or similar to act as a wetting agent should be all you need. Any salt left in the hair will result in your mount absorbing water everytime the humidity goes up.
Soak the cape for a couple hours, then bag and refrigerate overnight to sweat the cape.

What's wrong with.............

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 08/17/2002. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.4.101

What's wrong with simply letting it thaw out? Then either towel it, or give it a 5 minute tumble in sawdust and blow it out to damp-dry it before preping and mounting it. If you "fold" the cape before you freeze it - it should thaw out quickly. Never "roll" it up!

That sounds a lot easier than the alternatives!

Ditto

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 08/17/2002. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.142.178.234

I wet tan most of my capes and freeze them. All I do is leave it out over night and that thaws out the hide nice. Now I make a mess with the oils (just a messy guy) then I wash them and squeeze the excess water out or hang them to drip for awile. After that I place them in the clothes drier with a bunch of old towels in their. Dry them on cool for 15 min and proceed with the mounting process.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu