Question about hair slippage and shop temperature.

Submitted by BC on 08/29/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.202

I have a problem and was just wondering could anyone out there give any suggestions on it. I am relatively new to taxidermy (3 years) and in that time I haven't been salting my capes after rough fleshing, I have been mixing up a pickle/tan using para-tan, lutan, salt, formic acid, and water.Anyhow I decided to start salting my hides and after rough fleshing and salting overnight I went out to change salt and noticed a slight smell. My question is, my shop is locked up during the day and it gets pretty hot, I was just wondering if the temperature in my shop would cause the hide to have a slight odor or am I just smelling the blood. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.(Also the hair on the hide seems to come out awfully easy by barely pulling.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Heat and humidity are your enemies.

This response submitted by Paul @ fallslaketaxidermy.com on 08/31/2002. ( paultaylor_sr@yahoo.com ) 152.3.234.147

Heat and humidity are your worst enemies. You'll probably notice it takes a while before the capes actually start to dry out. Get some air moving around. Yes, the smell is the capes that are salted.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu