Need suggestions for skinning a velvet buck.

Submitted by Jeff Crawford on 08/29/2002. ( jccrawford@alltel.net ) 162.39.61.165

A friend of mine is giving me one of his tame velvet bucks to mount, and i need suggestions on how to skin it so the seam will be invisible. I've tried the "no incision" method on does, but the earbutts always gave me trouble (I like to model my earbutts onto the form with epoxy then cut them off before mounting). I want to do this mount for competition. The buck isn't dead yet, but he wants to get rid of him next week. He is an inferior buck and has no winter hair coming in yet, so the hair is still pretty thin on the back of the neck. The hide is in very good condition, though.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Use no incision method

This response submitted by Len on 08/29/2002. ( lengums@powercom.net ) 216.114.21.76

Hi Jeff, If you want,the only cut you need to make is from antler burr to antler burr.It is more work to get the cape off, but is only a 2-3" incision. If it is summer hair and you want to do it for competition, this would be the best way unless you go completely seamless which is a lot of work.With the small incision which is very easy to hide, you can still get in and do the ear butts.It may be harder and more time consuming, but it is well worth the effort. Hope this helps.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu