Deer Mount Value

Submitted by AC on 09/15/2002. ( acadams@triton.net ) 216.65.174.51

Can someone please help me. I am going through a nasty divorce. I am a serious bow hunter and 2 years ago I shot my first record book deer. An 8 point that had a net score of 156 Pope & Young. My Ex refuses to give this mount back to me. She claims she has lost it. I payed 250 dollars to have it mounted and the judge tells me that unless I can prove the value to be more then he can only force my ex to give me 125. I am hoping to find a company who sells trophy mounts and can give me a value on what a mount of this caliber is truly worth. My goal is that if I can prove its worth to be upwards of 1000 then hopefully my Ex would rather take the 500 and give the mount back to me. Can any one help me?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

What I would do

This response submitted by David on 09/16/2002. ( ) 171.72.5.226

I don't know if the judge would see it my way, but here is what I would do. I would go on the internet and get price sheets from outfitters as to what their price would be to go to one of their private ranches to harvest a deer of this size. You can easily find tons of them that charge from $3,500.00 to $6,000.00 or more for a guaranteed buck in that size class. And, that does not include mounting. I would then explain to the judge that a deer of this class is a rare animal indeed and one can not just bop out into the woods on any given day and shoot one like it. That is why they are referred to as a "buck of a lifetime." Explain to the judge that you can get another one like that if you pay to harvest one at a private game farm or ranch, but it would cost a bundle. Show him the price sheets and tell him that is just the cost of the deer, not the travel expences to get to the ranch, time off of work to go on the hunt, tip for the guide and taxidermy of the trophy when you get it home. Or, maybe you will just get lucky and the judge will be an avid bowhunter and he will know exactly what a buck like that is worth. Hope this gives you some ideas, best of luck to you.

Get Real

This response submitted by George on 09/16/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.189.169

If there ever WAS a divorce that didn't get nasty, it would put lawyers out of business. As for the mount being worth thousands of dollars, that's a pipe dream. A 156 buck is nice in any quarter and it certainly is safely in the P&Y standards, but face it, it was just a "nice" buck. It's time you face reality: (1) you ain't ever gonna see it again and (2) No matter WHAT she's forced to pay you, it won't replace the intrinsic value it had to you. You say you're an avid bowhunter. Bet you have pictures, huh? Bet you hope you'll get a bigger one, huh? Move on. Life's too short to fight with an ugly woman.

Be careful

This response submitted by Elk on 09/16/2002. ( none ) 12.4.179.30

I would contact a collector or someone that shows deer heads at like sports shows, but be careful of not getting it priced to high, because you may end up getting it back and have to pay 1/2 of the value back to her, that is where Daves advise would hurt you in pricing an actual hunt. Unfortunately the courts does not recognise moral and sentimental values! I been there not to long ago and wish you the best of luck, things do get better with time.

Be careful

This response submitted by Elk on 09/16/2002. ( none ) 12.4.179.30

I would contact a collector or someone that shows deer heads at like sports shows, but be careful of not getting it priced to high, because you may end up getting it back and have to pay 1/2 of the value back to her, that is where Daves advise would hurt you in pricing an actual hunt. Unfortunately the courts does not recognise moral and sentimental values! I been there not to long ago and wish you the best of luck, things do get better with time.

What ever happened

This response submitted by gotum on 09/16/2002. ( ) 216.127.204.66

What ever happened to till death do us part ?

I feel for you, seems to be a job for some women.

Deer Mount

This response submitted by Coyote on 09/16/2002. ( mrathnow@comcast.net ) 68.42.192.22

AC;
I know this is not what you want to here,But through my divorce, my Ex,took my black bear,that I shot with my Bow in northern Ont. The bear weighed around 425lbs live weight.I fought for 3 yrs with the judge,about wanting my bear back. And all he told me was that was between me and her.Well I lost my bear,paid $235.00 dollars a week in child support,for almost 19yrs.So guess what...yes I'm planning on another bear hunt...no more wives,except for the occasional date.And you have to start life all over.Trust me life isn't fair,but you just have to deal with it.Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear,But thats life....Good luck
Coyote

Search Ebay

This response submitted by RTF on 09/19/2002. ( aka_rtf@yahoo.com ) 216.238.61.230

Go and search ebay for deer mounts being sold at auction. Print out the auctions that are close to ending. This will give the judge an idea.

replacement cost

This response submitted by Chris on 09/27/2002. ( ktwalker@linkny.com ) 63.172.208.132

You could if you have good pics of the deer when you took it or after mounted, find a replica maker and get an estament to reproduce that rack. And then take that figuure to court with the added cost of the new mount. Just an idea. The whole thing is the cost to replace that particular deer and rack, not what it would cost to get another deer of the same caliber. Racks aren't like cars that you can run out and find one exactly the same and be happy with it. Well hope this helps you decide where you want take your case.

Chris

egads

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 09/29/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.105

After reading Georges bright and sunny outlook on things, I felt Id reply too. Nowadays any deer antlers has a market value, even though you paid a low end price to mount it. The approx replacement value on a similar sized set of antlers would be around $200 dollars or so, plus a hundred dollar cape, give or take. Add the taxidermy charge, and beg for the sentimental value angle, and you might have a shot. Speaking of shot, and till death do us part, reminds me of a better idea...

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu