LOOKING FOR CRITICISM !

Submitted by Rick on 01/01/2003. ( rick1795@hotmail.com ) 64.12.96.202

Anyone up for criticism?........I just finished up my first shoulder mount...nice 8 pointer.....Have been told by several people and customrs for that matter that I did a better job than some locals that have been doing this for centuries......anyone intrested in criticisig this mount and tell me what they think can email me and I'll sends some pics.........

NOT LOOKING FOR RUDENESS.....LOOKNG FOR PROFESSIOAL OPINIONS!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Length of time.......................

This response submitted by Critical of the masses on 01/01/2003. ( ) 152.163.189.167

Rick, Lots of times the old timers who never leave their shops are the worst taxidermists of all. 20 years of making the same mistakes every day make some hard habits to break. You can't get a valid critique from someone who can only look at photographs. Go to the World Championships this spring and get a REAL critique. When Cary Cochran,Gene Smith,Rick Carter,John Matthews and Bill Yox get through with your deer you may want to alter your ego a little. If you go into amateur Don Stevens will tell you the truth too. Good luck!

We need a registration system on this site !

This response submitted by b bishop on 01/01/2003. ( bishops@newnorthdotnet ) 209.83.43.109

The post by Critic of masses above , whoever the spineless , gutless wonder is proves that.

Bishop, you need to reread his/her post

This response submitted by BobB on 01/01/2003. ( foxranch@hotmail.com. ) 216.165.131.218

Wow do we not read the same English language between central and northern Wis? There was nothing rude or cruel said in his/her post. In fact great advice was given. Flat pictures are really a poor way to grade anything. As an example just think of all those trophy pixs, where the hunter poses behind the antlers holding the antlers with out-stretched arms to give the illusion of size.

Critic is only telling this new taxidermist, that he needs a real look at his work to see how it measures up to today's art. I know of several old-timers you still do not model the nares, two simply fill them, the other pokes in a dowel and he is done.

State Association

This response submitted by Todd B on 01/01/2003. ( tddbuch@aol.com ) 64.12.96.107

You do not even have to go to the world show. Just take it to your states show. The world show is pretty busy. But Like Bob B mentioned the critical of the masses gave good advice.

Todd B

Why?

This response submitted by J. Uecker on 01/01/2003. ( jvuecker@hotmail.com ) 63.118.118.64

WHY... would you tell him to go to the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS with his very first deer? Thats ridiculous!

Bob B

This response submitted by b bishop on 01/01/2003. ( bishops@newnorthdotnet ) 209.83.43.58

("Rick, Lots of times the old timers who never leave their shops are the worst taxidermists of all. 20 years of making the same mistakes every day make some hard habits to break.")
Bob, the original poster ask the folks on here to look at some pics and critique his work, no harm done there, but this guy comes on and discredits the " oldtimers" on here ? Maybe you agree with him on this but I don't, or did you take it as a compliment?
The rest of the post is debatable but does'nt offend me. Brad

way to go

This response submitted by Bob on 01/01/2003. ( ) 216.78.118.51

Critical of masses said it very well. Some of you guys are just looking for someone to get down on. And J., wouldn't it surprise you if his first deer won and the World Championships?

for what its worth

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/01/2003. ( ) 152.163.189.167

The World show isnt just for the champs. Its a wide open show for all. See there really isnt a pecking order like some might think. We are all in this taxidermy thing, ya know? Theres a beginners division, an open one too. All the suppliers, the fellow taxidermists, etc. I wouldnt send the first head that anyone did out to the show for the sake of competing. But I would send the beginner to enjoy what he can learn from ANY good taxidermy show. Have fun!

Bill Y.

This response submitted by Jeff S. on 01/01/2003. ( bucksnorts3@hotmail.com ) 66.153.30.149

Hey Bill,
Jeff here from Lake George,could you email your phone # and email address.
Thanks
Jeff S.

whoops

This response submitted by Jeff S, on 01/01/2003. ( bucksnorts3@hotmail.com ) 66.153.30.149

Hey Bill,
Jeff here from Lake George N.Y. Not sure what happen,could you email me your phone #.
Thanks Jeff S.

Uecker, listen to Bill.

This response submitted by John C on 01/01/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.76

A few years ago my some, who was 15 at the time, decided he was going to do a deer for a show. He had been helping me in the shop a good bit, one of our suppliers stopped by and saw my son setting eyes on my commercial deeheads.

Well time came about and my son, wanted to enter the Novice division. We bantered back and forth. He did enter at the professional level. The only help he had on the deer from me was finainces.

Boy, was he tickled to see the score sheet, he had beat his old man by several points. He was a very happy kid.

Then a sad sack of dog poop said I had done the work. Well that one idiot turned me son away from this Industry. My boy said "Dad. I even beat him." pointing out the guy, I tried to tell my Boy that no mater who you are where you go there would be people who never believe what they see and always someone will do well and others will do poorly. Those that do poorly and never go to the outside there own little world contained world, for fear of learn just how bad they really are.

Hell yes, go to the WOrld Show, my 2nd show was a world show, I learned a heck of a lot.

Point taken

This response submitted by J. Uecker on 01/02/2003. ( jvuecker@hotmail.com ) 63.66.233.66

I stand corrected,Gentlemen.
I was being a little close minded on this one.
No offense,Rick,you know I liked your mount.

J Uecker

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/02/2003. ( ) 152.163.189.167

Nah, Id like to think you were just making sure the guys werent throwing this guy to the wolves. At first glance, it does sound crazy to take it to the World show, but once its explained, its not so bad! Jeff S, Im at 585-637-2450.

Thanks to all

This response submitted by Rick on 01/02/2003. ( ) 205.188.209.11

Thanks to all that critiqued my first mount, several things I did need some work I agree....And yes I plan on entering this one in the states show. in the ametuer division.

Oh by the way Thanks J.Uecker.for an honest opinion. I took this mount to several people I know that has their deer done by a Taxidermist in our Area that enters his work in state and word shows and 9 out of 10 people liked my work better regaurdless of my problemed areas........

Brad, Critic was not taking a cheap shot at old timers

This response submitted by BobB on 01/02/2003. ( foxranch@hotmail.com ) 216.165.131.245

He was saying that old timers WHO NEVER LEAVE THEIR SHOP, ie no seminars, no conventions, no competition, no new learning.

I know plenty of experience taxis who try to learn new things everyday, but their does exist some set in their ways, who do not always keep abreast of today's art.

If you took it as a slam against us older guys, that's your choice.

Well

This response submitted by Elmer on 01/03/2003. ( Tops ) 152.163.189.167

The first comp that I entered was the World show. Notmy first mount but did enter the novice. They tried to tell me to go to the Prof division. But I would not. Didn't feel comfortable with that. But Bill hit it on the nose go to learn what you can. No matter what level. There is an abundance of knowledge to be had at any competition. I compete for that . If I score weel that is my score not the next guys. It is where I am at. I compete against my self I don't worry about the next guy but I tip my hat to the ones that have the fine points down better than I. I also marvel at the ones that are at that top level ( the real masters). The ones who are sculpting their own forms casting their own parts and doing somehting that has not been done before to get that edge. Go to the State or Nationals or IGT or the World you will be better for it. Since you are going to be there bring a mount not because it is a money makeing event but because you will get some good constructive criticism that will lend it self to your mounts of the future and make you better in the long run if you are open minded .

oh boy

This response submitted by Tim on 01/04/2003. ( ) 206.145.169.11

I`m only going to point out one thing I noticed that concerns me: The antlers go on TOP of the head and the EYES go in the holes below the forehead not vice versa! LOL!HEHEHAHA!KNOW IT ALL!SUPER IDIOT!ARCHIVES! SEARCH BUTTON!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu