tagging shed antlers and mounting them

Submitted by CHUCK on 01/06/2003. ( Chuckcnctaxi@aol.com ) 64.12.96.202

I posted and searched this in a thread and got no answer that way so I'm creating a new one in hopes of getting one.My question is -is tagging shed antlers -besides who owns them ,necessary ? I have 2 shed antler shoulder mounts to do this season and only have them tagged as far as who brought them in to me and which cape they are to go with. While I'm asking -I plan to use 2 kinds of attachment methods,one is the removable pin type and the other is a reproduction skull plate. What is the easiest way to drill the hole in the base of the anler to accept either pins/threads on the repro plate?I have a hammer drill and some masonry bits,cobalt,and titanium nitride coated bits.Which bits should work best without burning or splitting?Thanks

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

plain metal drill bit

This response submitted by chuck c on 01/06/2003. ( ccampbell02@usachoice.net ) 63.173.218.41

and a standard 3/8 drill is all i have ever used.just go easy and maybe drill a pilot hole first if you are not sure of yourself.

tagging sheds

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 01/07/2003. ( mhoney@mindspring.com ) 165.247.157.54

Chuck, You didn't say what state you're in- some states have some pretty "intense" laws on this stuff but here in NC we don't tag deer anymore so as a taxidermist I never have anymore than a customer's name on any antlers. Probably to be safe you would do well to ask all legal questions to your state wildlife devision--even if you get answers to legal questions on this site you won't be protected if you were told wrong. As for drilling those antler bases I wouldn't use the hammerdrill. Enjoy, Aaron H.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu