is there anyway

Submitted by ......./. on 01/07/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.202

is there anyway that i can make a deer antlers grow all year with artificial lighting

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

sure

This response submitted by DJ on 01/07/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.203

With the proper fertilizer.

This response submitted by ....... on 01/07/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.203

smart ass im asking a serious question

deer antlers

This response submitted by Bill on 01/07/2003. ( ) 216.130.156.52

Give your deer a vasactomy, and the antlers will never stop growing.

im tird of it

This response submitted by ........ on 01/07/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.203

i dont know if you guys are serious are anything now

Hey,its true

This response submitted by Bill on 01/07/2003. ( ) 216.130.156.52

Haven't you ever heard of a cactus buck? Its one that has lost his buck hood accidentally. The antlers continue to grow, and are always in velvet.At least partially.

....../

This response submitted by George on 01/07/2003. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.225

It's hardly a "serious" question as you seem to imply that a deer's rack is like a rose bush. Light may play some part in the hormonal balance of things, but a deer can't grow antlers year long any more than you can grow certain appendages (regardless of what that silly SPAM email tells you). A castrated deer WILL grow a "growth" all year long, but it never develops into a trophy scoring rack and it never sheds its velvet. I'd suggest you get a copy of "The Deer of North America", by Leonard Lee Rue and find out just how miraculous the process really is without wishing for more.

post your name

This response submitted by paul bunyan on 01/07/2003. ( ) 209.214.53.201

post your name and you have a better chance of being taken serious.
as far as your question you may need to ask a biolgiost. please excuse spelling.

True

This response submitted by Tony on 01/08/2003. ( ) 208.157.8.200

There was a deer shot here in Ky that was a steer. The deer had an estimated 3 yrs of growth on its head. Still in velvet, the antlers were a big mass on the deers head! They thought the deer might have got his scrotum caught on a barbed wire fence or somthing, thus, never stopping horn growth, and never shedding its velvet! This deer was on a deer hunting web site. It was killed in Greenup county Ky, year 2000. My friend saw it in the back of a truck at a gas station, he said it was unreal! Belive it! Tony

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 01/08/2003. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 63.26.248.40

I was taught that nothing is impossible, some things are more improbable than others. I would have to view inducing antler growth year round as highly improbable, BUT I do know where you are coming from with your question.

There was a company that was working on developement of a full spectrum fluorescent tube over thirty years ago. I was sent copies of the initial research test results before the tubes ever went on the market. As far as I know, most, if not all, the original developmental work was done around zoo animals. At the time, I was playing around with tubes of the red and blue lengths as 24 hour lighting over both fish fry and mature fish, and getting some very positive results in growth and over all health (allow for affects on bacteria,protozoans and algaes also with 24 hour lighting).

I did a google search before returning to this post, to find that the company that developed the full spectrum tube is still around. Here is a quote from their site, with the url following.

"Male hamsters kept under Vita-Lite showed improved skeletal developement, increased body weight, and had 1/5 the incidence of tooth decay".

http://www.naturallighting.com/pet_center.cfm

These are the same bulbs that have been used on humans with SADD.

Estrus in does is induced as the photoperiod goes toward the time in which days are shorter and nights are longer (Hunter's Moon). Antler growth is in the opposite photoperiod.

You might try contacting the people at Vita-Light to see if perhaps some one has not already pursued this angle. These bulbs are not cheap, or inexpensive if you prefer the term. On the down side, even if it should work, your deer would not be able to exceed genetic potential.

Possibly....

This response submitted by Old Fart on 01/08/2003. ( ) 64.122.32.141

....It could extend the time that the deer is growing the antlers. If your intention is to make the antlers grow larger, I doubt that you would be able to make an average buck into a B&C. They have make the deer grow two sets by creating two complete photo period cycles in one year. That is by creating the complete photo period of a year in six months. This is covered in the reference material that was mentioned before. If you want the answers to be more complete BUY the books.

More info on UV light

This response submitted by Raven on 01/08/2003. ( ) 24.150.167.36

In mammals there is still debate over teh effectiveness of UV light in relation to skeletal development. In herptiles (reptiles and amphibians) it is common knowledge to any experienced keeper. The whole premise behind it is this;

Ultraviolet light in the "B" spectrum is required to produce vitamin D3 in cold blooded creatures. Mammals are able to develope and process D3 in our own bodies. Cold blooded creatures cannot produce their own vitamin D3 without this UVB light. Some individuals may be low on D3 and therefore can take supplements to increase those levels. Vitamin D3 is required to metabolize calcium into the bones of a critter. In cold blooded creatures that are lacking D3 one of two things commonly happen. They develope build ups of calcium that cannot be excreted from teh body fast enough and get calcareous growths. these can be lumps on a bone, fused joints or over devloped sutures that create ridges along the skull as opposed to fine cracks. This is generally correctable with the addition of UVB if the case is not severe - as the excess calcium will be absorbed and utilized rather than deposited on bone surfaces. More commonly however the calcium is simply excreted leaving them deficient. This results in rubbery bones. They can have rubbery jaws that you can bend, weak limbs that cannot support their own weight etc. Technically the condition is called MBD or Metabolic Bone Disease.

Captive bred fast growing juveniles with a lack of strong enough UVB will often die in their vivaria for no explained reason. I've had many hatchling bearded dragons in my care suddenly take a turn for the worse until I researched this and did lots of testing of my own. At the time - info was not widely available on the subject. My findings and hypothesis was that their long bones simply bend under their own weight and they lay flat on their substrate. Their ribs are rubbery too so they bend and compress the lungs thus suffocating them. After realizing this may have been the case I trippled the amount of my UVB for hatchlings and went from a survival rate of about 10% to well over 90%! Bringing all this back to deer antler growth - it is entirely conceivable that UV light - especially in the B spectrum will enable deer to produce a booster shot of D3, absorb and utilize more calcium and possibly grow a more impressive rack. If I raised deer I would be certainly tempted to add a D3 supplement to a high protein diet and study antler growth rates.

Strange rack!

This response submitted by Hunter on 01/08/2003. ( ) 12.247.211.214

It's true about tje castration. I shot a buck that must have cut his testicle off on a fence, and he had the strangest and awsome look to his rack . Like Bill said, parts of it were still in velvet. End of story

Hermaphodite 'does' also stay in velvet

This response submitted by Bill@Real Life on 01/10/2003. ( ) 209.52.192.209

With the increases in soluble environmental contaminants...you know PCBs, phenols, heavy metals...even concentrated estrogen, originating from woman's birth control pills, leaching out of biosolid application sites are causing some weird stuff and messing up endocrine systems in our wildlife across N America. With respect to the he/she bucks...some hunters have been fooled into thinking they have a velveted buck with no testicles...when it is actually an antlered doe. This past fall I read a report on a doe that was shot that had both anlters without velvet, on closer examination a stub of a new anlter was growing under one of the velvetless antlers. The conclusion was that this doe had carried the main set for over a year (they didn't drop in winter) and the new anlter from the current year was starting underneath the old ones (sorry if this sounds confusing). I also spoke with a biologist in New Hampshire this past fall and they had an good antlered doe taken there...and she was carrying a fawn...!

actually, theres much more to it

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/11/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.203

You get into when the fetuses split and become seperate fawns, etc. Depending on when the common vessels feeding both become vesseling to only one fawn. Its a theory known as Freemartin twins. Some fawns are born with male and female parts, or many combinations of both. Ive seen many here. Velveted does, hard antlered does, multiple season growth, bucks with does features, etc. Its all in the archives as well, if anyone is interested.

Your Right on Bill...

This response submitted by Bill@Real Life on 01/12/2003. ( ) 142.22.16.53

That is how it happens...I was trying also to explain why it seems to be becoming more common...There is definitely some weird stuff going on out there...and science is just now getting to a point to try to answer some questions about trigger mechanisms for these biological processes and results, like the ones you described...

Tony

This response submitted by ETCC on 01/15/2003. ( getrichkwik@webtv.net ) 209.240.198.62

I gotted me balsies cot onna barbed wire fence an almose ripped 'em off two...butt...I ain'y never growed no antlers like you sed.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu