WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Submitted by SHEILA P. on 01/08/2003. ( HEART4U66@YAHOO.COM ) 63.77.129.57

This is really a dumb question but here goes.

I found a fresh kill on the road today, 2 hound dogs had stripped it almost clean. I was sickened by the site but had to get out to take a look... My first... A small young deer that had an v axed in the middle of it's head as though it had been chopped.
Being a female and not wanting the dogs to rip the fur , it was still intact with all the insides except some junk..... hadn't been dead too long maybe a day, seemed as thought insides had been cleaned out pretty good, head still intact....

My question? was this a female or a buck young deer ? since I am in deer country? WHY WAS A BIG X CUT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT'S HEAD?
AND THE MOST IMPORTANT FOR ME? the fur was so pretty I hated to throw it away , it had a white longish tail.

I picked it up with a blanket, put it in the car and brought it home , put it in a bag, I have no idea why?lol

Is it possib;e to savage the fur for something and how would i do this?
AND WHAT ABOUT THE SMALL HEAD, IT ALREADY LOOKS LIKE A SMALL RUG OR SHOULD I JUST GIVE IT A DECENT BURIAL?

A FIRST FOR A CURIOUS FEMALE....DON'T LAUGH!

regards,

sheila

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Road warriors

This response submitted by migda's taxidermy on 01/08/2003. ( ljmigda@nmo.net ) 12.32.78.254

Sounds like you had a heckuva day! For starters it may have been illegal for you to have taken any part of of a road kill deer, differant state have differant regulations concerning that. The deer in question sounds like a young buck perhaps. The spot on the head was perhaps where someone cut off the antlers i suspect. As for doing anything with the remainder of the hide, hard to say because the hide may have laid there awhile. Also it would be wise to contact your local or state authorities as to the legalities. Road kill is definately not worth a possible fine. Tanning has too many methods that work well to discuss here. Find the search button {orange button} to learn more on tanning. Hope this info helps.

Did you get the backstraps?

This response submitted by Road Warrior on 01/08/2003. ( poodlesandnoodles@roadkillcafe.com ) 64.216.172.30

Hey did you get the backstraps, they are great fried, with tatars and gravy. in a stew with tatars and carrots, throw some corn in for tracers. Or you can put spices on run over it a few more times with your car and dry it, very good jerky!

Deer

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 01/09/2003. ( mhoney@mindspring.com ) 165.247.129.97

Sheila, Sounds like a totally new experience for you. Since some states do have some laws against possesion of road kills you may want to inquire of your local wildlife officer--or you might not. You can skin off the hide of the deer, provided it has not spoiled, and salt it heavily rubbing it into the skin. After a couple of hours shake off the salt and scrape away any remaining flesh and resalt. Let dry. After this the skin is safe from spoilage for a long time but hard. You can tan the skin using information found in the "search" or contact a local taxidermist to have it done professionally. Best wishes, Aaron H.

buy a hide just like it

This response submitted by LLoyd on 01/09/2003. ( mudratttataol.com ) 198.81.26.143

you are probably better off giving it a decent burial and just purchasing a tanned white tail deer skin.that way you are not dealing with the ticks and head aches of tanning.good luck Lloyd

p.s. someone on this forum probably has one for sale

What is wrong with you?

This response submitted by Tracy on 01/09/2003. ( ) 68.58.80.240

You have all gone mad. Why would you want to touch or use a dead animal carcass? These are the most delicate, innocent lives on Earth. Why are you discussing them as if they are some type of thing you own. YOU DON'T OWN THEM AND THEY DON'T DESERVE YOUR CRUELTY...

TRACY..........................

This response submitted by Kent Palazzo on 01/09/2003. ( ) 68.114.250.146

..............I agree that these animals are delicate, I love every part about them. EATING THEM for starters! God put these creatures on earth to feed and cloth mankind. Check out your history,and go way back! This is a TAXIDERMIST site, what the hell do you think taxidermist do? Taxi= move dermy = skin We move the skin of animals, ie; WE MOUNT THEM. Tracy take your narrow minded thinking and go back to whatever tree hugging site you came from. I have just as much right to make a living as you or anyone else! And if you choose not to like the way I make my living that is your problem. Deal with it!

Sheila ?

This response submitted by Z on 01/09/2003. ( ) 65.174.213.221

If the dogs had almost stripped it clean what are you saving? What was left to pick up with the blanket? If it was a deer how did you get it in a plastic bag. And last where did you get a plastic bag that big?

Tracy...

This response submitted by Becky P on 01/09/2003. ( ) 205.188.209.11

STUFF IT and take that however you want.
We respect the animals. That is why we want to preserve them, both while they are alive and after their death.
How much money do you spend out of YOUR pocket for wildlife preservation? I'll bet it is not as much as sportsmen do for their licenses.
Go hug a tree covered in pioson ivy. BP

Aw C'mon . . .

This response submitted by Jerry S. on 01/09/2003. ( jds@htcomp.net ) 216.62.85.65

A "decent burial"?!?

Give me a break! Maybe we can all pitch in and buy a headstone.

JDS

A rich lady from California,

This response submitted by charles brown on 01/09/2003. ( browntriumph12@aol.com ) 63.115.100.35

who was a tree hugger and a vociferous anti hunter {much like Tracy},
purchased a piece of timber land in Oregon. There was a large tree on one of the highest points in the tract. She wanted to get a good view of her land so she started to climb the big tree. As she neared the top, she encountered a spotted owl that attacked her.

In her haste to escape, the lady slid down the tree to the ground and got many splinters in her private parts.

In considerable pain, she hurried to the nearest country doctor.

Being a hunter himself, the doctor listened to her story with great patience and then told her to go to the examining room and he would see if he could help her.

She sat and waited for three hours before the doctor reappeared.

The angry lady demanded,"WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?!"

He smiled and then told her," Well I had to get permits from the Envirnomental Protection Agency, the Forest Service, and the Bureau of Land Management before I could remove old growth timber from a recreational area an Im sorry, they all turned me down."

SHEILA , DEER HIDE

This response submitted by SHEILA on 01/09/2003. ( ) 63.77.129.40

Tracy,

I am not a killer of anything especially an animal.
I ask the question because the small young deer was being ripped apart by 2 hunting dogs that looked like snoopy....

I removed it off the road in the country which is where I live to keep it from being abused any further.

The fur, skin was still intact . Obvious I wa bothered by the way this Bami or Bubba had been killed , it was not a road killed.

I was curious as to the v cut in the middle of the forhead even though it made me sick. Yes, I thought I did a good dded by having it not torn to bits . I am part Cheerokee Indian and I love all animals.

Having lived in deer hunting area I have had to turn my head away for my persona; belief is killing deer is not a sport when you trap it with all the gimmicks they have today .

At one time hunting meant feeding your family 60 years ago in the wilderness and clothing and when they were hunted it was real hunting such as tracking it for days on end.....that is real hunting,.

When you put put food and traps and use houses and tents and deer scent and all that other junk I can only surmise that is the poorest way to trap an animal and is not hunting at all......have you ever seen the Deerhunter? that is tracking............w/o the traps....

I do not hunt! I wanted to know what to do with the skin which is intact.

I have loved the answers from most of you, For the jerks that sent me a stupid answer.........................you have no right to the deer since it belongs to the natives.....

Cheroky

I put the fish back too..........

Sounds like a road kill

This response submitted by Will on 01/09/2003. ( iamoutdoors@hotmail.com ) 63.173.23.59

The v cut into its head was most likely caused be a car.

Just Wondering,
If 2 hound dogs had stripped it almost clean. What was there to save?

žAt one time hunting meant feeding your family 60 years ago in the wilderness and clothing and when they were hunted it was real hunting such as tracking it for days on end.....that is real hunting,.Ó

Is hunting not what provides most of the stuff mounted by a taxidermist therefore feeding and clothing his family. Why do I feel insulted by you making this statement. After all hunting turns into taxidermy which provides for my family! You come here asking for help and then insult others that can give you help!

žyou have no right to the deer since it belongs to the nativesÓ

Try belongs to the taxpayer, Wildlife (in most areas) is considered state property. State property is paid for and maintained by taxpayers.

And don"t even go down the žnativeÓ road when you can"t even spell žCherokeeÓ

just for the record!

This response submitted by Tracy(oregon) on 01/09/2003. ( scottra63@yahoo.com ) 65.121.80.133

Hi,this is Tracy also, I occasionly ask questions on this site and i wanted to let everyone know that uninformed,tree hugging,retard is not me(hope i didnt offend any retards)and sheila YOU said you had a dumb question!so you should exspect some stupid answers?take some of that government money and buy a tanned cape,(yes that was sarcasm)Tracy (the hunter)ps. without hunting there wouldnt be any wildlife and thats a fact!!TRACY(oregon)

QUESTION

This response submitted by taxpayer on 01/09/2003. ( ) 65.121.80.133

To answer your original question "WHAT SHOULD I DO" I think you should take a long walk on a short pier.."cheroky"what are you a JEEP?you are the typical uneducated peeta type...

STUFF IT YOURSELF!

This response submitted by CHEROKY on 01/10/2003. ( ) 63.77.129.54

COMCERNING YOUR RESPONSES FOR SUCH A SIMPLE QUESION, SEEMS LIKE A FEW ANGRY , BAD ATTITUDE FOLKS OUT IN CYBER. PMS?

HAVE YOU HEARD OF MANNERS? I DIDN'T ASK FOR YOUR 2 CENTS..............TRACY?

MY SPELLING ON THE NET IS MY BUSINESS........CHEROKY WAS MY NAME, IS MY NAME AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE MY NAME SO YOU GO STUFF IT!

AND FOR THE 4TH. TIME THE FUR WAS LEFT IN ONE PIECE, NO IT WAS NOT A ROAD KILL,

BEING A BIRD OBSERVER I HAVE A FEW BRAINS ABOUT ROAD KILLS.

The beautiful young deer was given a proper burial with all pomp and circumtance including a prayer for all animals that they do not suffer
when being killed for sport.

No need for replys, I have had enough.

Thanks for the replys from the helpful forum members.

CIAO!
CHEROKY

bunnie hugger

This response submitted by Stuff your own on 01/10/2003. ( ) 63.173.23.168

If everone else is angry why are you the one SHOUTING. Oh no now sheila/cheroky has had her feelings hurt. ohaa boohoo, go home and cry tree hugger!

yeah right

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/11/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.6

OK, Cheerokkee, cherroky, try JERKY! Yep, we bad hunters take animals in the craziest ways! In fact, we were thinking of hiding behind trees and surprising them when the ran by us to escape our hunting partners, and...oooops, thats the way our ancestors did it! Hmmm, now what? Look, bottom line, go play somewhere else. Maybe YOUR PETA friends can tell you what to do with the hide...and the dog.

whatever

This response submitted by Tracy(oregon) on 01/11/2003. ( ) 65.121.80.132

its an open forum,dumb a$$ you dont have to be asked for 2 cents..duh arent you a little frustrated?if the batterys are dead in your vibrator try the kick start......hope you have a wonderfull life and can relax gee what was your name again?sheila?cheroky?be-otch oh well,bye for now................TRACY

I dought Cheer okey is Native American

This response submitted by John C on 01/11/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.43

Sounds like a bunch of crap from a tree hugger.

Animal deaths are part of nature as we know. But bunny hugger you dont have a clue.

Look back at the Hawes Roll, 1900 Arkansas/Oklahoma border. There you will find my ancestors, further back in the late 1600's My ancestors are listed.

The bunny huggers take your feeble ideas and shove them up you hinny! Many of use eat what we kill, and yes we supplament our tables.

Not only that, we are leaders in sustaining wildlife. For more money is generated through hunting and fishing, than you can imagine.

Many, Native Americans are involved in the H & F community. You just dont have the common sense to leave well enough alone.

That deer sounds like it was hit by a vehicle. You took it away for the dogs, what a fricken KNUTT you were/are. Those dogs need to eat too. They were conserving the deer, by consuming the meat.

Now because of you it is wasted!

Hell no its not a road kill, why was it laying close to the road then.

Come see me and I will show you the ways of taking deer, I use.
MY local game warden even watched and was amazed, plus there is witness.

Atal.

Gduyhharaqreps
John

psycho sheila/chair-key

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/11/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.6

She should listen to her own story, we had to! Those hound dogs stripped it almost clean? Then its intact. Sounds like a dressed (gutted) carcass to me. You keep putting them back, OK? All the more "sport" for us. Next time think, and get your story straight before you, as an anti hunter, comes in here and asks for our help... Maybe we should go to your sites and ask where all the deer are, so we can hunt. You just dont get it, do you?

Chair Of Keys

This response submitted by ETCC on 01/15/2003. ( getrichkwik@webtv.net ) 209.240.198.61

Since when does a Deer have FUR?...as you continue to emphasize?

Only Furry Deer I've ever seen is a stuffed toy novelty in a discount store.

Tell us...what kind of Shampoo do you use on the Fur on your brainless head?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu