stop slipping?

Submitted by needy on 01/03/2003. ( ) 165.121.235.17

is there any way to stop slippage if you over neutrlize a cape?if there is would some one please help me i have read through the arcives but no answers

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

not that I have found

This response submitted by b. bishop on 01/03/2003. ( bishops@newnorthdotnet ) 209.83.43.131

I have put them back into the pickle after being nutralized but not over done. The only time I over did it was with a few deertails and they swelled to 3/4 of an inch thick ! and turned rubbery and yellowish opaque.

Just Curious

This response submitted by The Rookie on 01/03/2003. ( Natures Trophies@aol.com ) 152.163.188.35

How do you over neutralize something . Just seems like the simplest step in tanning . Just wondered how this happens.

Easy

This response submitted by b bishop on 01/03/2003. ( bishops@newnorthdotnet ) 209.83.43.131

Put hide into nutralizer and walk away and start working on another project. I was boiling a skull one time when my logs showed up for my house and after I helped unload the logs, there was nothing but antlers left. OOPPSSY ? Time to do an antler plaque !

Easy

This response submitted by b bishop on 01/03/2003. ( bishops@newnorthdotnet ) 209.83.43.131

Put hide into nutralizer and walk away and start working on another project. I was boiling a skull one time when my logs showed up for my house and after I helped unload the logs, there was nothing but antlers left. OOPPSSY ? Time to do an antler plaque !

Thats Why Geo

This response submitted by The Rookie on 01/03/2003. ( Natures Trophies@aol.com ) 152.163.188.35

Is that why Geo doesn't suggest boiling skulls. I believe we now try masceration ? But you're right Brad, sometimes I forget how busy established taxidermist are. Waiting for my time.........soon.

really, how does this happen?

This response submitted by mikey b on 01/03/2003. ( broyles86@aol.com ) 166.122.100.68

I had no Idea you could over neutralize. What constitutes "over-neutralizing"? I know some guys said just walk away from it and you've done it, but that doesn't explain it to me. What harm is done? Unless you abandone your cape, then it spoils... not over-neutralizes. I mean when something is neutralized, it's neutralized. Really, HOW DO YOU OVER-NEUTRALIZE? It's like "overdie-ing"... there's no such thing. Dead is dead... isn't it? Someone please e-mail me, I need to know because I'm ignorant to all of this.

Overdone...

This response submitted by Steve on 01/03/2003. ( steve@automatictanner.com ) 209.248.57.199

just means that the pH has been brought up too high.

Pickles by definition are acidic. Most tanning agents operate on the acid side of the pH scale also. "Neutralizing" is the term most often used by taxidermists when refering to the process of bringing the pH of an acidic solution up, which has to be done to some degree for most tans to work well.

I guess you might say you're neutralizing until you reach neutral pH and then basifying after that if you continue to raise the pH.

Hair tends to come out at higher pH values. Sodium hydroxide has a pH above 11, and is still used by some a basifier. Hair will jump out if you go that high.

In a laboratory setting, you would add just enough basifier to a solution to manipulate the pH to exactly where you want it no matter how long the float. But generally we add enough to go past the desired pH so that we don't have to wait all day, and then pull the skins at a prescribed time in order to not let pH creep past the safe zone.

If you're following directions for a specific tanning system that calls for "neutralizing", it's pretty important to heed the times and amounts specified.

Mickey

This response submitted by b bishop on 01/04/2003. ( bishops@newnorthdotnet ) 209.83.43.173

Try it some time and see for yourself, it's quite interesting. Then you can make leather when you are done. LOL

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu