REPLACING A WHOLE WHITETAIL EAR?

Submitted by DAVE COLLINS on 01/13/2003. ( ) 24.97.190.134

I have repaired a lot of nasty rips and cuts in ears but one of my repeat customers brought me a real challenge. His cape is a nice large specimine with the exception of a badly damaged ear. It was shot with a 12 gauge slug right at the base of the ear opening. Enough of the ear is missing that I don't feel I can reconstruct it in a resonable amount of time and have it look good. I am concidering sewing on a complete replacement ear from a spare cape. I have one that matches in size and color.
HAVE ANY OF YOU FOLKS ATTEMTED A REPAIR THIS RADICAL? AND CAN YOU OFFER ANY ADVICE? Thank you.
(I recomended replacing the whole cape but my customer wants me to use the original cape even if the ear is not pefect. I want to give him a mount that is as close to perfect as practical)

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

First time is scary, but it is not that bad.

This response submitted by John C on 01/13/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.55

If you have the match, get it done. Matching is the problem. Get the ear ready, set it on the cape so you have an idea how the cape needs to be cut. About 30 stitches and you are done.

Stitching

This response submitted by Marc A on 01/13/2003. ( ) 65.243.10.135

After you fit the ear and you have to sew it on, I suggest that you make individual stitches starting at 12 O'Clock, 6:oo, 3:00, 9:00 and so on. This will prevent bunching. I one did this with a duck head that I pulled off. It worked great. Good Luck !

That last sentence gets me

This response submitted by George on 01/13/2003. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.227

If you truly want the mount to be as "perfect as practically possible", do yourself a big favor and get a replacement hide. Hair colorations, hair length,and interior hair color could eliminate that sentence completely.

or, you could...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/13/2003. ( ) 205.188.209.14

...check the archives, its there. I remember typing it out...twice! Good luck.

Thanks

This response submitted by Dave Collins on 01/14/2003. ( ) 24.97.190.134

Thanks to all for your help.

I spent 45 minutes searching the archives.
I searched under DAMAGED EAR, EAR REPAIR, WHITETAIL EAR AND MANY OTHERS.ONLY THEN DID I DARE BOTHER YOU FOLKS.

Echo John's Post

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 01/14/2003. ( ) 155.76.241.129

Dave, I just replaced an ear and it went well. This was a long haired November deer. Not sure I would have attempted to do it with a short hair. I went to the butcher shop and sorted through the deer heads in the scrap pile until I found one that matched size and color. After you add in the creases in the ear butt, you can't even tell. In fact, if I hadn't made a note on my customer receipt, I would not even know which ear was replaced. Good Luck!

Bruce

funny

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/14/2003. ( ) 152.163.188.227

"only then did I dare bother you folks"...Now THAT bothers us! I guess if a guy doesnt have the years of experience to know the answers to a question like that, its understandable. But youd think you would just start scrolling back through either the archives as a search, or through the heading and look for past posts and read them. I gave the suggestion of the archives after two other choices posted before me, as an alternative. Oh well, Im sure youll "bother" someone into typing all over again!

Dave

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/14/2003. ( ) 152.163.188.227

After I replied to your last post above, I went ahead and tried the search. I will have to be honest with you, using the search I wasnt able to find what I know I once posted. So I have to say I dont blame you for being frustrated! I KNOW its in there...somewhere! Sometimes we post CHECK the G.. D... ACHIVES! as a way of scolding the lazy. This time it was just a suggestion to you as I knew we had discussed it already, just so you know. Anyway, I dont feel like scrolling back through old deer posts, and its most likely under a different heading or something. I mounted a stock ear on a liner and inserted it through the hole in the cape where the damage ear was cut away from, and continued mounting. Then I blended the hide at the wrinkles. It was a cinch...

Bill

This response submitted by Dave Collins on 01/15/2003. ( ) 24.97.190.134

Thanks for the advice in your last post. Very inovative.
I aploogize if I upset anyone. Sometimes my selection of words isn't the best. My coment about not wanting to bother you folks (especially you Bill) was sincere. I know it is frustrating to answer the same question over and over. I have always found what I needed in the archives in the past, this time I couldn't so I asked.
In 1994 at the E.S.T.A. show in Morrisville; I attanded a seminar that you gave. I was quite impressed and since then have always respected you as a master of our profession.
Thanks again;
Dave

sorry Dave

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/15/2003. ( ) 205.188.209.14

Hell, Ive gotten much worse since '94, hahaha. Seriously, I just assumed by your use of caps when you said it that you were peeved. Sometimes I DO mean to be sarcastic, other times, most of the time, Ive got a smile on my face and a devil on my shoulder as I type this stuff. He just doesnt show up in the text, I guess. Good luck with that ear.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu