antler repair

Submitted by brad on 01/30/2003. ( ) 64.251.143.80

Hi,I shot a nice 9 pointer this year with my bow . When i found him he had one of his brow tines broke off there is just a little sticking out from the beam. i would like to know if there is any way it can be fixed with another brow tine similiar in size. i know i would not be able to do it but was just wondering if a professional taxidermist could. thank you, brad

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

More than one way to make a tine.

This response submitted by John C on 01/30/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.76

Yes you can add a piece of antler to replace it.

You can build an epoxy tine from wire and a clay type epoxy.

My favorite way is to spray a release agent on the matching tine. Spred silicone caulking on the tine, It has to be a very good grade not the cheap stuff 100% silicone. Once its dried two/three days.
Carefully remove the silicone mold. Pour with a 2 part urethane, just as it kicks off remove it from the mold, the new tine will be soft and bendable, shape the contour.

drill a hole in the real antler and the new tine, set with a good epoxy, blend the joint, seal and stain to match.

Yes

This response submitted by Tony B on 01/30/2003. ( ) 216.254.157.147

Hi Brad

What your asking for is possible but the bottom line is going to depend on the person doing the job hope this helps you
Good luck

Why?

This response submitted by Rocky on 01/30/2003. ( ) 63.154.32.14

I am sure a lot of you guys out there, know what I mean!

Antler Repair

This response submitted by Mark on 01/31/2003. ( TaxidermyReference.com ) 65.150.206.52

Give this a try

www.TaxidermyReference.com

scroll down to the Special Features and read the artilce Bill Gaither did on antler repair. Think you might enjoy it.

Good luck,
Mark

OR!

This response submitted by George on 01/31/2003. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.165

you could have clicked that orange icon to the left there and found what 51 other people who asked this same question were told.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu