deer ears

Submitted by al on 01/20/2003. ( alb9324@aol.com ) 64.12.96.202

just received a deer head that was frozen and the ear tips seem to be dryed out probably freezer burnt is there any way they can be rehydrated thanks al

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Oh, yea look back through the past two weeks post

This response submitted by John C on 01/20/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.93

Oh yea, that should not slow you down. But skin it out while working with the ears. You may even be able to turn them any way fron the inside.

Rehydrate problem areas with an insulin syringe.

This response submitted by Ron on 01/20/2003. ( ) 207.235.50.91

Al:
Freezer burn is not an uncommon problem. What I do is inject the stiff areas (after completely thawed)with water and work the area till flexible. This works especially well when trying to open the ears. I inject several places in the ear to help avoid a tear or rip. Other places to check are the nose pad, eyle lids, tear duct.
Good luck,
Ron

Soak in

This response submitted by Chris on 01/21/2003. ( ktwalker@linkny.com ) 63.172.208.106

I had one come in that was in the freezer for about 49 weeks unskinned in just a garbage bag. Ears where all dried and curled some. I opened them as far as they would go and then soaked them in warm water and a little bacteriacide. Put some inside and work real slow with your opening tool and they will open pritty good.

Chris

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu